baffled by thousands of headphones

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by dogmeister, Jul 25, 2013.

1. dogmeister

dogmeister New Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ATM i have a set of sennheiser pc360 hooked up to an asus xonar essence stx card on my pc. I have tweaked the setting through following advice on tech forums and feel they are a fantastic piece of kit, very happy. Good for gaming music skype and music.

However i am now in the market for a set of good Bluetooth headphones and basically i don't know where to start.

These will be used only for hooking to an ipad and iphone nothing else. Basically i want to be able to go to bed if my wife is sleeping and peruse youtube or watch streaming video without disturbing her so i suppose one of my prerequisites would be low if any noise leakage.

I will probably use these headphones if i am walking the dogs etc also hooked up to my iPhone 5. Most of my iTunes music mp3s run at 256kps i also have some flac music.

So what i'm looking for

quality, low noise leakage, practical I'm no audiophile like wine my pallet is rubbish i couldn't tell the difference between cheap or expensive wine.

if any of the resident experts could take the time to read this thread and maybe point me in the right direction it would be appreciated cheers.

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Charleston South Carolina
    This one is a good bet. Sometimes it's tempting to go a lot cheaper, and it's possible it could work out OK, but getting better quality, comfort and good sound isolation, makes a big difference when you consider that you'll spend many hours with the headphone on your ears pumping sound right into your head. I've gotten along good with the lesser types when using them outdoors, but at home, especially at night when all is quiet, those small details in the sound really jump out at me, and I want them to be smooth and not give me a headache.

Focal Spirit One Closed Back Audiophile Headphones in Black
  3. john-hifi

john-hifi Super Moderator Staff Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Hi Alex,

For Bluetoothe headphones Sennheiser are a very safe bet, especially as you already own a pair and are happy with their sound. A good place to start would be the Sennheiser PX210 - They are very comfortable and have the typical warm and fun Sennheiser sound.

There are more expensive models where the main benefits are either noise cancelling or apt-x. I'm not sure that you really need either of them as the PX210 has very good sound isolation and the iPhone 5 doesn't have the apt-x technology built in so it's likely you won't use it.

Another option if you want in-ear earphones is the Jaybird Freedom - They are comfortable, sound great and being in-ear they also have extremely good sound isolation.

My final recommendation is the Volume DH-B38 - They are possibly the best value for money Bluetooth headphone we do. They come in a range of vibrant colours, sound and feel great and they are very comfortable.