Bass junkie

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Jimmy 2deski, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Jimmy 2deski

Jimmy 2deski New Member

Hi there,
    I currently own a pair of sennheiser MM30i in-ears and although the bass is quite good, I still find myself having to tweak the EQ settings for a more bass orientated sound with reasonable but not great results, I also own a pair of Bose on-ear headphones that for my tastes produce the sought of sound I enjoy, (that warm not muggy sound) without tampering with the EQ. I appreciate I'm not going replicate the Bose from an in-ear, but please, any help would be vastly appreciated. My immediate budget is upto £100 but I would willing to save for a vast jump forward toward my Bose. This is for use with my iPhone so mic & optional volume buttons are required.

Many thanks for your time in this matter.

P.s are the E10's anywhere near my requirements, do you think???

J.2d

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Jimmy 2deski

This is the exact type of earphone that will give you what you are looking for. You need to pick a dynamic driver type earphone which, although warm, has a decent focus on detail too. The E10 will have an iPod controller with mic version before Christmas (hopefully) but there are some other similar earphones around.

As you have already heard from your current headphones the warmth is there but the detail isn't - That is a function of price point as adding quality or extra detail means a more complicated, more expensive driver. There are in ears which will beat your Bose hands down, price is the limiter of quality here. Saying that though your budget is good and you will hopefully find something you genuinely love:)

Here are my tips based on what you need. Some of these do not have a mic and controller version yet but we are expecting them soon(ish). They are all warm smooth sounding earphones.

SoundMAGIC E10 In-Ear Sound Isolating Earphones Black & Silver
    £34.99 - No Mic yet

Sennheiser CX880i Premium In-Ear Isolating Earphones for iPhone
    £79.96

Klipsch Image S4i Isolating iPod Earphones in Black (S 4i)
    £89.95 - I don't feel that these are as detailed as the other three as they seem a little lazier at the top end than most. Some people love this earphone though so I guess it is a taste thing - too relaxed for me.

Beyerdynamic MMX 101 iE Isolating Earphones with Mic (MMX101iE)
    £99.95

I have put this one here as I pretty much know if I could sell you one of these for £99.99 you would love it! Small, light attractive and comfy - these sound great and have the contemporary tone that most people are after. That is why they are so popular even at this price.

Klipsch Image X10i Sound Isolating Earphones (Image X 10i)
    £209.95

Hope that helps:D

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  3. Jimmy 2deski

Jimmy 2deski New Member

Hi RobinHiFi

Many thanks for your response, I have tried the S4i's and I found there bass response quite poor. Of the selection you've provided (or any other), which do you feel will provide me with the best rumbling bass because I listen to a variety of music and although most can produce the bass beat from a dance track not too many can produce the subtle rumble of a orchestra or the enveloping sound of thunder, I would much rather have too much bass than too little as I can always turn it down on the many EQ settings available to lower the bass, but there's not many options to turn the bass up. So please advise on the best rumbling bass headphones without having to blast the volume down my ears.

If it helps, some of the music I'm talking about where you might normally miss the subtle bass notes is things like Mike Oldfield's Tubebular Bells 2 or some of Enya's music which with the right bass response, really gives an impact to the music I think.

I eagerly await your response. Many thanks

I eagerly await your response, many thanks

4. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

If it is accuracy and detail with true bass response you are looking for then you need to up the budget massively. You simply cannot create truly accurate clean sound at a low price point, the materials and components which improve quality cost serious money.

A triple driver balanced armature pair which have a bias toward the bottom end like these -

Westone 3 True-Fit In-Ear Isolating Headphones (Westone3)
    £249.95

or a nice dynamic driver which is really warm and bottom heavy -

Sennheiser IE8 In-Ear Noise Isolating Earphones (IE 8)
    £224.95

Or the previously mentioned

Klipsch Image X10i Sound Isolating Earphones (Image X 10i)
    £209.95

What you are looking to do is move the EQ in that kind of bass heavy direction. There is very little at the bottom end of a Classical recording in comparison to a Dub Step recording so you still need to pick an earphone with a really nice handle on detail as well. You don't want to end up with a mushy sound.

I bet you would have liked these but they are discontinued, if you can find some they have Plenty of bass!:)

Ultimate Ears Suoer fi 5 EB (Extended Bass)