Bassy over-ear amp combo

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Daigriff, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Daigriff

Daigriff New Member

Hi all,

I've currently got a pair of AKG 451's and really like them. However, i'm looking for something offering more bass and detail. I've tried AKG 550's and was disappointed with them as they seemed to offer less bass than the 451's.

I mainly use an iPod/iPhone and sometimes the laptop as my source.

Soo, after reading up on the site and forum I was thinking of getting Shure 840's and the e11 portable amp.

What do people think? Would this combo fit my bill.

Thanks in advance.

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

3. Daigriff

Daigriff New Member

Thank you, Dale.

I appreciate there is a separate sub-form for amps, but I'm guessing the main reason I was disappointed with the k550's was because they were direct from my iPhone without an amp. Presumably something like an e11 could solve this? Apologies if this crosses over into another forum, but I'm unsure if its the amp or headphones that will deliver what I'm after. Namely, good bass that doesn't warp the rest of the music.

One of the reasons I like my 451's is because the bass doesn't seem to come at the expense of the other frequencies.

Appreciate your suggestions and will bear them in mind as options.

Please anyone feel free to chip in, I'm grateful for any feedback/advice.

Dai

4. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

If the K550 were very close to what you wanted, but just misses a little bit, an amp might make it better and acceptable, but at 32 ohms you should expect the same bass as with the music player. If the difference with amp were a lot, I would suspect some sort of mismatch, like impedance or whatever. I've read a lot of claims about near-miracle changes with amps, but realistically those are on the order of less than 2 decibels in any part of the range, for a quality headphone. For really cheap headphones, anything goes. What the amp will really do is improve the accuracy of the sound, making the bass 'tighter' as they say, but not really stronger. Here's what I would suggest: Think about what kind of amp or amps you want to have for the next year or so, portable or desktop, and plan on getting those so you'll have the best possible amping for your budget. Then you can plan to keep the 550 or possibly upgrade it, depending on your experience with those amps.

I have the E17, and haven't used the E11, but reading the reviews and looking at the E11, I think it's a good bet. The reviews say it tends toward the warm side (good in your case), and the external switches for gain and EQ are handy. The ability to swap batteries is a great option, and the volume knob is the best of all. I don't like the digital volume controls.

5. Daigriff

Daigriff New Member

Apologies for confusion, I have demo'd the 550's, but don't own them. I was deterred from purchasing because I felt the low end was not pronounced enough.

6. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

So what's your price limit for a headphone?

7. Daigriff

Daigriff New Member

Around £250.

I've spent pretty much all of today looking and reading up. As stands I am considering Shure 840's and an e7 amp.

8. Daigriff

Daigriff New Member

Dale, would the Momentum's be superior in quality to the likes of AT a700 or the Shure 840s?

I will definitely be getting a headphone amp, but will treat that as a separate challenge!

9. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

The A700 would be light in the bass compared to the Momentum (or most headphones), and the Momentum would offer far better clarity and musical tone than the Shure 840. The Shure 940 would be closer to Momentum quality, if you did a brightness mod on it like I did with the Shure 1440.