Beats by Dre, your Opinion?

Discussion in 'Headphone & Earphone General Discussion' started by Lennoxm2b, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Lennoxm2b

Lennoxm2b New Member

Just wondering what peoples opinion is?

Mine is that they are for the pretentious with very little knowledge of headphones. I have listened to a friends, and they dont seem anything to special sound wise, but listening to hip hop they seemed ok I guess, but was n't sure if they were worth the heafty price tag, I could imagine them struggling If I wanted to listen to Metallica...

What they do carry is a big price tag as I said, and I feel its only that, and the fact that everyone knows how expensive they are, due to them being round every single premiership footballers neck, that makes them so popular?

Maybe I'm wrong!

Lenny

2. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Opinion on Beats by Dr Dre

Your opinion on the Beats by Dr Dre is pretty much on target. You are paying for the marketing and PR. All of the models we have seen are not worth the asking price.

3. Lennoxm2b

Lennoxm2b New Member

Thought as much! I'm no expert but you can just tell sometimes froma marketing strategy and a vauge knowledge of what good speakers sound like!

Is there a specific company that consistantly make the best headphones?

I'd like to think it was sennheiser!

4. ClimacticCoda

ClimacticCoda New Member

I would also have to say that you're, more or less, right, though I don't necessarily think that everyone who goes for Beats is pretentious, just uneducated when it comes to quality headphones. They're drawn in by marketing, the name and the design and expect quality to come with the price. The people I've encountered who swear by Beats haven't really used quality cans before.

That being said, though, they might be the right choice for some people. If someone is more concerned with fashion and the name brand than a superb listening experience or if they just don't have the ear to appreciate better quality then Beats might be a perfectly fine choice for them. I don't see any audiophile being satisfied with them and I think it's a shame that there are people paying so much when they could be getting much better quality from another brand, but people love the way they look and probably like how recognizable they are.

There's also that whole psychological factor involved: people believe they're brilliant headphones and so, when they get them, this influences their perception, especially if they've got no other points of reference.

As far as the best company out there...I think that's a bit relative. What's best for one might be second best for another, so one could argue about who is best for days.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  5. burton

burton New Member

I think your right, they are in the local HMV then they are alot more accessable than some other brands.

If they are comparing Beats to a pair that came with their iPod or similar then they is no comparisson as the Beats will be better, but then they don't have anything to compare against which is the problem. Plus the backing of named stars does help to sell I product.

I have never tried a pair of Beats but alot of reviews don't want me to go out and buy a pair and the price is something else that puts me off, not knowing a brand for me can be a problem.

6. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Consistency

The only company I know of that is consistent in sound from top to bottom is Grado. Sennheiser makes some of the best at the top, and some of the worst at the bottom tier. Beyerdynamics are all over the place, so you have to choose the model that fits your need. I don't know AKG or Audio-Technica, so there you are.

7. Lennoxm2b

Lennoxm2b New Member

Gardo make some sweet looking headphones for the price of the Beat By Dre to! People are so silly, this is what the internet is for! I'd like to know what % or Beats By Dre owners did the research first!

8. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

V-Moda also does fashion headphones, but they put real quality in first. Maybe someone should send emails to Beats and ask what their quality objectives and standards are.

9. Andreaxx17

Andreaxx17 New Member

I dont really have anything to contribute to this, but I do have a question. My parents are getting me headphones for christmas and they gave me the choice of the beats or the Quiet comfort 15 bose headphones. From what I've been reading I'm discouraged to choose the beats, but how are these bose headphones? Are they worth it? Please help the newbie! Lol Thanks :)

10. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Bose QC15

The QC15 with bass reducer from an iPod or iPhone sounds fairly good. Played straight the bass is so strong it gives me a headache after a while. So I don't see you going wrong with the QC15 - go for it. I used the previous edition, the Qc2 for about a year. Pretty good headphone. It broke 3 times and I never took it outside or abused it, it just fell apart literally. Very strange.

11. Andreaxx17

Andreaxx17 New Member

thanks for responding, my parents are buying me a plan so if it breaks i can exchange it for a new pair for 2 years. That is strange though... I mostly listen to house and electronica.. have any other suggestions for headphones? Or will I be straight using the bose ones

12. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Bose?

Robin would be the expert here who knows the larger variety of what is available and most suitable. I assumed you had only two choices, and I don't think the Bose would disappoint at all.

13. Andreaxx17

Andreaxx17 New Member

whose robin? but alright thank you

14. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

New headphone

Be sure to let us know what you get and how it sounds.

15. kevin861

kevin861 New Member

those kinds of headphones are just the results of Star Effect.
    Do they really own better quality,perhaps.Do you really need to hear clearly the singer's breath,that depends.Are you a music producer that need to know how many instruments consisted of this song,maybe youre.
    so spend your money in the right way.

16. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Beats

Beats, from all that I know, are not considered to be audiophile grade headphones, although the more expensive 'pro' models are considered to be nearly as good as other headphone brands costing about half the price of the Beats. So far the only fashion headphone I am aware of that comes close to true audiophile quality is the Vmoda M80/V80, although the AKG Q701 may be as good as the K701 at a higher price.

17. rick90

rick90 New Member

V Moda M80

Hi dalethorn, i have been doing a bit more research and i think that i prefer the m80s... the build quality looks much better and they are cheaper... but having looked around i found out that v moda also make a bigger pair called the lp2, so i was wondering what your opinion was on these if u have used them yet. Also, how is the noise isolation in the m80s as they don't fit completely over the ears do they? Just out of curiosity, out of the headphones u recommended for me which one do u prefer??
    Many thanks for the expertise!!

18. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Preferences...

The M80 is so good I use it exclusively for portable uses, and I even use it at home sometimes as an alternative to other more expensive headphones. The Vmoda LP was not as good as the M80 and I have heard that the LP2 is much better, but the main difference between it and the M80 is the M80 has a fairly flat bass that's very solid and goes really deep, but the LP2 is more "bassy", meaning the upper bass is boosted like so many of the popular headphones people use with their portable players. Noise isolation with the M80 is not much since they are on-ear, even though there is some sealing effect it isn't much.

When I listen to the house music channels and youtube, I think the M80 sounds absolutely perfect, and the bass is awesome (on most tracks anyway). But on some tracks on my computer or music player, some of the jazz especially, I use a small amount of treble boost to get the best detail. The good news is the overall sound quality is way good - Bose and Beats and Klipsch and so on - can't compare. When you get tracks that have really serious brass and percussion etc. you can really tell the difference. The M80 plays those well and they sound like musical instruments, where some headphones it's just mush. I tried some Skullcandy yesterday and whoa - you would not believe how bad they did with heavy brass.

19. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Guys,

If you have tried the Beats and enjoyed them then these are a really nice alternative. Better build quality and whilst they retain the bass heavy feel they are more detailed with a better grasp of stereo positioning.

[​IMG]
    Shure SRH840 Professional Closed-Back Headphones (SRH 840)
    £149.95

Dalethorns suggestions are great though - as he said there are better choices for less money than the Beats which I think are seriously overpriced for what you get.

20. tserose

tserose Banned

Sound quality is good, but prices are a little difficult to accept it!