Beats Studio Or Mixr?

Discussion in 'Full Size Headphones' started by AllAlone, May 18, 2012.

1. AllAlone

AllAlone New Member

I only want opinions on the two:
    Pros and cons of both?
    Are mixr's on ear or over ear?

Thanks for the help.

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Mixr's

I spent some time looking for reviews, after many Google pages of vendor puff pieces.

The reviews (the legitimate reviews) don't look good.

3. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Why pick between these two when neither is supposed to be that good? Not a criticism just interested in why you are looking at these two.

4. bobstrong

bobstrong New Member

I have a pair that are Sony for PS3 and they practically choke you when you have them on your neck, and you can't turn your head. And I'm not fat, so it's not just me. What type of wireless headphones would you recommend?

5. RobinHiFi

Wireless headphones have still not caught up with their wired cousins. To move the sound from one place to another without cabling is still a bit of a feat. Sound contains a huge amount of information and transfer must be instant with no delay (or you couldn't use them to play games or watch TV) so normally they compress the sound, losing quality in the process. The wireless headphones are much better than they used to be - I would go for a Sennheiser -

Sennheiser RS160 Wireless Headphones (RS 160 Wireless Headset)
    £124.96 - Closed back can be used as a portable headphone thanks to battery ro mains operation of the base station.

Sennheiser RS170 Wireless Headphones (RS 170 Wireless Headset)
    £162.95 - Closed back with a virtual surround sound mode - If you are trying to be quiet and like films and games this may be the one for you.

Sennheiser RS180 Wireless Headphones (RS 180 Wireless Headset)
    £189.95 - Open backed. This is the one fro music listening but it does leak a bit of noise.

6. pennguy

pennguy New Member

A friend of mine bought some all-silver beats last week, are those limited edition or are they sticking around?

7. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Silver beats

Is he or she aiming to melt those into bullets for hunting werewolves on the moors? Personally I would not go out there with beats headphones on, because the wolves can hear that thundering beats bass a mile away.

8. RobinHiFi

There is surprisingly little talk of werewolf or vampire attack on this forum - I for one might consider a wooden Beats by Van Helsing if I lived in a quite vampire infested area - they could have garlic flavoured earpads. I hope Monster are reading this thread, these are good ideas! Well they certainly are no worse the the Justin Bieber ones.

9. Lukin4DecentHedfones

Lukin4DecentHedfones New Member

Don't buy Beats !!!

I had a set of beats and they have pure fake sound, over powering bass and just a fashion item. I bought a £15 pair of Sonys for my laptop bag and there better.
    I'm just being honest that's all.
    Ash

10. krtislav

krtislav New Member

Respect+
    Beats are like apple, if you like Apple, you are enough idiot to buy Beats.
    (No offense, but I am right, and I know a lot of stuff, after all I am a computer technician)
    They are just selling name and logo, not the quality, believe me, your eyes are shut with glue by that companies.
    I'm telling this only for your good.

11. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

I was really curious about the Dr. Dre and Beats thing, but not because of all the publicity and hype. I got curious because some serious people started talking about Beats and Dre, so I went to Youtube and watched some interviews and commercials, to get a better idea of who Dr. Dre is and what he's thinking. He seems like a really good guy, and he seems sincere about how his Beats sound "right" to him. He also seems like an experienced producer who would be familiar with headphones, so I can't account for how he can't tell that the lower-priced Beats have such uneven sound. I can only guess that the sound he is producing doesn't have the full frequency requirements of a wide variety of genres, and so the Beats really do sound right with what he works with.

12. krtislav

krtislav New Member

You really think that he designed headphones?
    He is just a payed guy which knows some things, and says what is on his script, while company is doing all the stuff. He is just a mannequin
    Commercials and marketing, that's what ruins products.
    As my father always said, the product who need to advertise that much, ain't something good. I mean i saw on London olympics that all the swimmers are wearing beats on head to their starting point. I mean, isn't that to much? Why the fuck would someone wear giant headphones to the pool, while he need to challenge the best swimmers in the world.
    If you think I am wrong, go to some stores with headphones (at least you have some unlike I do), try beats, then try something else.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  13. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

I've spent a lot of time (too much time) with different Beats at the Apple Store, and I think the sound is faulty, as I mentioned in my last post. But all I know about Dre is in those videos, and if anyone really wants to understand Dre even a little bit, spend some time with those videos. If nothing else, watching will broaden your understanding and perspective, if not gain you some empathy.

So as to Dre's credibility in saying they sound right with what he does, I can't say. I do think he is involved on a personal level, which many big-time producers are not. So if anyone has any inside information about Dre's involvement with his product, I would like to read about that. Dre is big - really big, so more real inside information would be very interesting.

14. krtislav

krtislav New Member

Here is all you need to believe me
    Best Headphones | Compare headphone reviews, styles, and more
    Grado SR325is vs Grado SR80i vs Sennhesier HD 280 Pro vs Bea...

Why are you believing person who "created" headphones? You all know that everyone compliment their own stuff. Look for reviews from others. Unfortunately, some are bribed (that's why they are expensive), but you can still find something true.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  15. RobinHiFi

Hi krtislav

Try to keep it friendly and also be a little more frugal with your external links.

You seem to be quite angry with Beats and Apple - I would say that these companies are poles apart! Apple is a true innovator which manufactures the computers which most Films, CGI and music are made with. Beats are cheap fashion goods with an inflated pricetag.

Also check out some of Dale Thorns excellent reviews. :)