Been spoilt, now need classy earbuds on a budget.

Discussion in 'Portable Headphones & Earphones' started by LarryBeale, Jul 7, 2010.

1. LarryBeale

LarryBeale New Member

Hi was spoilt some time back with bagging a pair of Shure E3s which blew away the previous E2c's I had. E3's broke, and Shure replaced them with SE210's which I thought were dull and lifeless compared to E3's but couldn't afford to replace them. Just lost the SE210's and need help replacing them as I am over seas and unable to test any of the contenders.

Beyer DTX80 or 100 at the £80 would be the absolute top price mark.
    Senn CX 300 II get amazing write ups, and would obviousley hurt meger funds less.

I guess the big issue is having an expensive pair of Shure SE210 that totally underwhelmed me, has made me hessitant to just go for the expensive option. If I could get another pair of E3's I would. They were so good. Treble and mid where spot on. I found them really exciting to listen too, and I was always finding new detail in tracks. I thought they had enough bass, but a touch more wouldn't have hurt.

If anyone has had a similar choice to make I would be glad to get some views. I will use them with a iPod Classic and a last gen Shuffle.

Cheers
    Larry

2. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Budget earbuds

Hi Larry,

The Shure SE210 is not a great earphone in my opinion. This was actually my first ever pair of IEMs and I was bitterly disappointed. It made me wonder what all the fuss was about!

A couple of good choices at around the £80 mark with be the Phonak Audeo PFE 012 (very well balanced with excellent clarity), Beyerdynamic DTX100 (lots of bass, but good fun) and the Klipsch S4 (definitely at the warmer end of the scale at the expense of accuracy, but a solid choice).

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2010
  3. LarryBeale

LarryBeale New Member

Found them, sorted them, now they've broken

Hello Shaun

Thanks for the reply way back. I found my SE210's after I was convinced they'd been lost forever. I even sorted the sound by getting some of the Shure yellow foam buds. The difference was stunning. Sadly the right channel has given up the ghost now. Shure don't seem to last that long it would appear. Time for some Phonak PFE012's, and stick the foams up on ebay.

Great site by the way.

4. tiduslrg

tiduslrg New Member

Thx

Gives thanks for that send, I’m keen this submit.