Best Bargain Wireless Headphones

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by hoggbottom59, Sep 18, 2011.

1. hoggbottom59

hoggbottom59 New Member

I'm looking for some wireless headphones to use them with Reason on my computer and playing my electronic drums. If I'm trying to change something on my computer and turn around from the drums I often get tangled up!

The Beyerdynamic RSX700 or the Sennheiser RS160 look quite good.
    Is the sound quality better on one or the other?
    Are the transmitters with them quite small too?

I'm currently using some Sennheiser HD457 headphones and Behringer Truth active monitor speakers if a comparison helps.

What can you recommend?

Thanks
    Leon.

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Leon

I would not recommend wireless headphones for this purpose - two reasons - Latency and quality (accuracy). Latency is the worst one, although the latency is not bad enough to effect TV viewing you are attempting to practice the drums. Playing drums requires real feed back from the instrument (both I and Jon from here play drums too!) you would be disadvantaging yourself. These headphones are also not designed to be accurate, decisions you make based on what you hear require an accurate presentation to give you a chance of making those decisions well.

Why not get a pair of these Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO Closed Back Headphones 80Ω (DT 770)£129.96

I used to be an engineer in a pro studio, I've done sessions at the BBC, XFM and all kinds of live work. Why not use the same thing all your favourite drummers use? These are the standard Studio headphone everywhere - get used to using the gear the pros use. I use a long headphone extension cable which I run through my belt loop and plug my cans straight into this, I can wander about as much as I like then.

We also do the DT770M which is actually the drummer specific version - You have to call us to buy that one.

If you really want to use wireless headphones then I would buy analogue instead of digital - there is less latency but they are worse quality.Sennheiser RS120 Wireless Headphones (RS 120 Wireless Headset)
    £76.96

3. hoggbottom59

hoggbottom59 New Member

Hi Robin thanks very much for the feedback.

4. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

I know that answer was not what you were hoping for but I hope it was helpful:)