Best closed headphones

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Soosieboo, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Soosieboo

Soosieboo New Member

Partner needs headphones to listen to ipod. Usual music is Pink Floyd / Simple Minds / Tom Petty / KAte Bush. He likes the sound to be bassy.

He likes to listen at higher volume than me and needs headphones so that he can listen without me hearing the 'tzzz tzzz' of the music. BUT at the same time he doesn't want to be able to hear the TV.

I know its a bit of an ask! He's been looking at the Beats as they were on offer in Comet! and is convinced now that they will be good but our budget shouldn't really stretch that far. After reading threads here and on other sites I'm not sure they are all they are cracked up to be.

So need good alround pair for upto £100 ish....Prefer closed as they will have less sound leakage.

2. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

One of the best closed back headphones at around the £100 point is the Beyerdynamic DT770. You'll find a mini-review of the DT770 in our Top 10 Best Full Size Headphones.

The DT770s have nice punchy bass response and are built to last many many years. You'll find the BBC use these headphones for their radio guests (check out the Radio 1 website for photos).

The Monster Beats by Dr Dre are very much a gimmicky product without much substance to the quality of the construction or sound. They actually looks suspiciously similar to the Shure SRH-240, which is a £60 headphone.

3. Soosieboo

Soosieboo New Member

After looking at your reviews and checking out a few other headphones, I decided to buy the Beyers from you.
    They are exactly what I wanted. Hubby pleased as punch! I can't hear his music playing while listened to the TV and he can't hear the TV!

Thank you for your expert help!

4. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Soosieboo

Really glad these worked out so well!:D