Best earphones under £100 (mostly) for hip hop; usefulness of amp

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by andylaw3107, May 13, 2015.

1. andylaw3107

andylaw3107 New Member

May 13, 2015

A few years ago, I bought a pair of Shure SE315s. They've broken and been replaced about three or four times now (usually the left earphone sound randomly dropping out, entirely dropping out, or becoming muted). I'm now looking for a replacement, but don't have the same budget right now, and I'm also not sure about spending quite as much in case I encounter the same issue with another pair.

My tastes are probably 80% hip hop, 10% R&B, 5% jazz and 5% other, so I'm looking for a pair that meets those needs (mostly hip hop). Sound isolation is also pretty important, as my main use is when walking.

I'm currently looking at the following, in order of preference:
    1. RHA MA750 (£79.95)
    2. Shure SE112 (£39)

The following have also come up as possibilities:
    - beyerdynamic DTX102 iE
    - beyerdynamic DX120 iE
    - Bose IE2
    - Klipsch Image S4A-II
    - Nuforce Ne-700X
    - Plantronics BackBeat GO 2
    - Velodyne vPulse

The second thing I'm unsure about is whether to invest in an amp and line out dock connector. I've never used them before, so I'm not sure of the advantages and whether it's worth it with earphones in this price range. I'm using an iPod Classic (6th generation).

For the line out dock cable, I'm looking at the FiiO L3 (£7.99).

For the amp, I'm looking at the FiiO E06 (£20.99) or the PA2V2 ($65 - around £40).

Any help and any other better suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Charleston South Carolina
    The RHA is great, but if I were looking at the others I'd be biased toward Beyer, although I'd suggest making sure you get something reliable with a good cable. I'd also try for the FiiO E07k, which is about the price of the PA2V2, but much, much easier to carry around,