Best for Movies: GermanMAESTRO GMP 400 or GMP 450 PRO or ?

Discussion in 'Full Size Headphones' started by markymark56, Mar 15, 2012.

1. markymark56

markymark56 New Member

[Moved to 'Ask the Experts'] - www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/forum/ask-experts/1397-best-movies-germanmaestro-gmp-400-gmp-450-pro.html

Hey Guys, I am excited by the positive reviews and value for money that the GermanMAESTRO brand brings to the arena.

My battered Sennheiser HD595's are desperately needing replacement. I am not concerned with leakage so have no personal preference for open or closed back. Comfort is a high priority and the cans will be used almost exclusively in my Home Theatre set-up. Currently pulling the audio from a MacMini with a Cambridge Audio DAC Magic plus (incorporates a reasonable headphone output stage).

I have extensively auditioned the AKG K550's that my mate bought (inspired by the WhatHiFi 5* review) and find them transparent but rather thin sounding and lacking in bass power to compliment action movies, falling short of the HD595's here (in my opinion).

So what do you think: GermanMAESTRO GMP 400 or GMP 450 PRO or is there better in the£200 territory?

Regards

Mark

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi markymark56

The GMP400 have bigger bottom end but a less spacial sound as they are closed back. I have never directly compared the open-backed GMP450 against the AKG550 but the GMP450 is really quite powerful at the bottom for an open back with a really nice spacial sense that sometimes lacks in bass rich headphones. The German Maestros do tend to have really impressive bass - even the two open backed models - if you have not got / or are not planning to get a headphone amp this is the one I would get -

GermanMAESTRO GMP 435S Open Back Headphones (GMP435S)
    £189.00

Lower impedance!:)