Best for Movies: GermanMAESTRO GMP 400 or GMP 450 PRO or ?

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by markymark56, Mar 15, 2012.

1. markymark56

markymark56 New Member

Hey Guys, I am excited by the positive reviews and value for money that the GermanMAESTRO brand brings to the arena.

My battered Sennheiser HD595's are desperately needing replacement. I am not concerned with leakage so have no personal preference for open or closed back. Comfort is a high priority and the cans will be used almost exclusively in my Home Theatre set-up. Currently pulling the audio from a MacMini with a Cambridge Audio DAC Magic plus (incorporates a reasonable headphone output stage).

I have extensively auditioned the AKG K550's that my mate bought (inspired by the WhatHiFi 5* review) and find them transparent but rather thin sounding and lacking in bass power to compliment action movies, falling short of the HD595's here (in my opinion).

So what do you think: GermanMAESTRO GMP 400 or GMP 450 PRO or is there better in the£200 territory?

Regards

Mark

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

3. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

GermanMaestro GMP 400 or 450

These GermanMaestro models are rather good. They both have a neutral, accurate sound signature, but enough warmth to make then enjoyable to listen for hours at a time.

I don't agree with all aspects of the Headfonia review. In my opinion the GermanMaestro range are doing something special.

The GMP 400 can be driven by most decent headphone outputs and does not need a dedicated amp. I really like this headphone. It's like a blend of everything that's good about the Sennheiser HD650 and the Beyerdynamic DT880, which makes for a rather special listening experience. This headphone is super linear and handles whatever I have been able to throw at it.

The GMP 450 is most sensitive about what it is driven by. In my experience this models needs really quite a powerful headphone amp (e.g. Icon Audio HP8) to drive it with authority.

4. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

GermanMaestro GMP 435S

An alternative for those without dedicated headphone amps, or low output power portable players is the GermanMaestro GMP 435S. This is essentially a lower impedance revision of the GMP 400.

If you want to learn more read this review of the GermanMaestro GMP 435S

[​IMG]