Best full-sized headphones for around £100?

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by WhiteSlate, Mar 7, 2012.

1. WhiteSlate

WhiteSlate New Member

I've already got a very nice 5.1 sound system, but I've got a little extra cash recently and I've been looking to buy a pair of on ear headphones for portability and to enable microphone usage. I've been doing a little bit of research, and the best headphones for the approximate price range seem to be the Audio Technica M50s and the Beyerdynamic DT770s. However, realistically seen I am not a hardcore audiophile, and I don't want to be spending an awful lot of money for something I'm never going to use. I generally listen to classical/trailer music (I'm in cinematography) with some gaming on the side, so a good soundstage is more important than a booming base. What I'd like to know is which are the best headphones for my budget (absolute maximum £130, preferably less), taking into account that I'm an enthusiastic but not professional listener, interested in classical/electronic/SFX? A closed back design would be preferable as well since I will probably be using them in public. Good build quality is also a pro since I'm rather clumsy.
    Thanks in advance,
    WS

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Best headphones in budget

The M50 and DT770 are excellent headphones, probably by far the best in that price range and even quite a bit higher. And neither one of those has a big boosted bass like so many of the fashion headphones these days. Good choices.

3. WhiteSlate

WhiteSlate New Member

Thanks!
    Which one is better for dramatic orchestral music?

4. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Orchestral music

The DT-770 would be much better I think. It was really made for music, where the M50 is more of a general-purpose monitor. I don't have either one at hand to check, but someone else here should be able to confirm that (or not). The thing with orchestra drama is you need really good detail and separation of instruments, else the headphone tends to merge everything into a mass of undifferentiated mush.