Best headphone amp combination for ipod

Discussion in 'Headphone Amplifiers' started by Mattyc24, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Mattyc24

Mattyc24 New Member

I'm currently thinking about purchasing a headphone amp and new headphones for my ipod classic.

I could do with some guidance as to what the best combination would be.

Cheers

2. Daveevo

Daveevo New Member

I use a Graham Slee Voyager amp connected to an iPhone 3G with a SendStation pocket dock and a Nordost cable with Neutrix plugs. I use Sleek SA6 or Senn HD555 'phones. Voyager amp is very good. Have a look on the Head-Fi forums for more ideas (Hifi Headphones is a sponsor I think).

3. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Best headphone/amp combination for ipod

Yes, I agree the Graham Slee Voyager is a safe bet. The aesthetics often come under criticism, but I guess that's a matter of taste. You really can't fault the sound quality - no doubt due to the perfectionist design and QA process by the guys at Graham Slee.

You may have seen we're now listing the FiiO headphone amp range. These portable amps are really interesting. Not only do they look the part, but I would say sound quality with the higher end models is rivalling the Voyager. The FiiO E7 has the added benefit that it has a built-in USB DAC for listening via computer.

4. Mattyc24

Mattyc24 New Member

Thanks for your help

5. Ian T

Ian T New Member

Headphone amp for 'phones + Classic

I'm using the iBasso D2 Boa, linked to iPod Classic with Russ Andrews GQ-Mini Cu 0.5m Mini to Mini Interconnect GQ-Mini Cu interconnect : Find out lots more information on the G... - amp is 12 hours into burning in, very pleased with sound - will post review of amp later
    Ian

6. mylar

mylar New Member

AmpPuzzles Tube Headphone Amplifier

Just found this amp for IPOD.
    Looking for review report

Attached Files:

• Amp.jpg
      Amp.jpg
      File size:
      76.2 KB
      Views:
  7. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

I tried one of these about a week ago (mini jigsaw valve amp) and I was really disappointed. I really wanted to like this exciting looking little fella and he was well put together and just as good looking as in the photos but sadly EQ was so all over the place. The output was so odd that the the owner thought his new headphones were broken after buying the two together and brought them to try and work out where the problem was. It turned out his HD600's were fine but the amp was not at all good.:(

8. mylar

mylar New Member

Please post the picture and share it with us. I want to know the design. This amp really good looking and best match with my ipod.
    I like the EQ lighting effect is quite interesting.

9. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Best headphone amplifier for iPod

A bit of iPod headphone amp news. Thought it is worth posting about the release of the new SoundMAGIC A10 portable headphone amp.

We've had a review sample in the office and it's a very nicely made little amp. It comes supplied with LOD cables to connect up to an iPod and the sound is very clear and accurate. The bass boost is fun too with some headphones! :)

We'll be stocking these amps very soon.

The SoundMAGIC A10 is the best headphone amp we've heard under the £100 mark.

10. pjhammer

pjhammer New Member

pjhammer

The Grado GR10's are the best in ear phones I have used...they have very low impedance and so don't require a headphone amp. My recommendation is to put your money here.....you won't regret the investment :)

11. RobinHiFi

12. UndefinedMemory

UndefinedMemory New Member

That's a pretty amazing list of features. I didn't even know there was a portable amp that could work as a DAC for an iphone! I'm happy with my uHA-120 for the time being but nice to know there are some upgrade options, though the battery life on it isn't nearly as good as most other portable amps.

I had a look through the features and I'm confused on a few points. It has a really good DAC in it, but it sounds like it can only be used in conjunction with an ipod/iphone? It can be powered by USB but can it also be used as a DAC from a computer? Also, do you know if it's compatible with the iphone 4S? It could just be old copy so it stopped at the 4, but want to make sure.

With the optical and line outs it's a brilliant device. I just hope that I'm misinterpreting it and it can be used as a PC DAC!

13. RobinHiFi

Missed this! Sorry Guys!

It can onl;y be used as an iDevice DAC and will not perform the same function for a PC - We have not discovered a recent iDevice it does not work with but it doesn't like my 2nd Gen iPod Classic which is about 8-9 years old!:)

14. marcusd

marcusd Member

Got to agree with Robin on the Fostex HP-P1, only the Cypher Labs CLAS can come close and you have to get an amp with it also. There is a slew of cheaper ones like the NuForce iDo for the desktop but don't have quite the same snap as the Foxtex or CLAS (Cypher Labs Algorhythm Solo).

These new devices work with ipod classic upwards, ipod nano 5th gen upwards, itouch 2nd gen upwards and iphone 3 upwards.

15. RobinHiFi

16. kjhay

kjhay New Member

What what headphones would you use with this

17. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

18. RobinHiFi

What these iDevice DACs give you is the ability to use even the best headphones with an iDevice. Although the iPod/pad/phone platform is not horrible sounding they really are not good enough to get the most out of a truly brilliant pair of headphones, you will always be missing out a little. I will be enjoying this set up this Summer in my garden, hopefully without sunburn - a definite danger if you get comfy with some great music.

iPod Touch
    +
    Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Solo USB Line-in & DAC for Apple Black
    +
    Just Audio AHA-120 Class A Headphone Amplifier Silver (AHA120)
    +
    Beyerdynamic Tesla T1 Semi-Open Reference Class Headphones

Seriously nice sounding :D

19. kjhay

kjhay New Member

Can the Fostex run manga planer headphones like audeze or hifiman, well not just run them do them justice on serious level

Thanks

20. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Docking ipods

I don't know how many years it's going to take for the docking people to figure this out, maybe 50 years after I leave the planet. But I cannot imagine why I would want to "dock" my ipod instead of using an extension cable. For years, Apple even denied that extension cables were available, and I still don't see one from an A-rated manufacturer. Along with Apple's cable denials is their denial that I would want to access my mail, saved documents, Web and a hundred other things while my ipod (well, not mine anyway) is impaled on one of those useless "dock" connectors. How does a manufacturer like Apple ever make progressive devices like the iPhone4 and iPod Touch and fail to realize the whole point of mobile computing? By accident? No wonder the Chinese and Japanese think we're stupid.