Best headphone under £150 for orchestral music?

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by WhiteSlate, Apr 3, 2012.

1. WhiteSlate

WhiteSlate New Member

I've been looking for an upgrade for my fairly cheap old headphones for quite a while now. I'm not an audiophile and I'm limited to a £150 budget (optimally less), but I do like my music. I generally listen to orchestral music, especially more dramatic pieces, occasionally listening to some electronic and trance. I don't have an amplifier, and I'm definitely not going to buy an expensive one, if anything at all, a cheap one. After some research, I decided that the Beyerdynamic DT770s were probably my best option but I came across one audiophile site where they claimed that it was great for bass but not for classical.
    I just wanted to ask if this is correct, and if you guys have any other recommendations for headphones for this price range. Comfort is also quite a big factor, and I really can't go over that maximum budget.
    Thanks in advance
    WhiteSlate

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Headphone

The only other items I saw in that price range that are familiar are the Shure 840 and the German Maestro 8.35D. All three of those would make for good listening.

3. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Amount of bass is a personal and subjective thing - As a rule headphones which suit classical are brighter with wider soundstage but plenty of people like warmer headphones with shorter soundstage (Sennheiser HD650 are a classic example of a Classical fave which is actually quite chunky and warm sounding) for Classical.

The obvious ones (if open backed is a possibility) are -

Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 Open Back Hi-Fi Headphones (AD 700)
    £109.96 - Comfy but big and sit lightly on the head, not for you if you like dancing in your cans! Big open sound with airy feel

Grado SR80i Open Back Prestige Headphones (Grado SR 80i)
    £112.50 - Bright and brash with excellent separation

Sennheiser HD558 Open Back Dynamic Headphones (HD 558)
    £139.96 - Warmer and more relaxed

If you like the idea of a closed back and you favour a warm and sculpted sound with more weight -

Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Closed Monitor Headphones Coiled Cable
    £129.95 - amazing little headphone but possibly a little too contemporary sounding for the traditional classical fan. If you like it warm and bass heavy but with a fresh feel these might be for you.

Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO Closed Back Headphones 80Ω (DT 770)
    £126.95 - I disagree that these are too bass heavy for classical. Although they have a slight bass leaning it is pretty subtle compared to a lot of headphones and they really do sound gorgeouse - Hand made in Germany just like the GermanMaestros.

GermanMAESTRO GMP 8.35 D Monitor Closed Headphones
    £149.00 - Dale has a pair of these, they are pretty amazing if you are planning to take them everywhere with you - not only do they sound very very nice indeed but they are one of the toughest headphones I have ever seen

These are interesting as they sound open but are actually closed -

Ultrasone HFI-580 Closed-Back Foldable Headphones (HFI 580)

£119.95

Good luck choosing!:D