Best Headphone

Discussion in 'Headphone & Earphone General Discussion' started by mixinatorw, Mar 14, 2012.

1. mixinatorw

mixinatorw New Member

Mar 14, 2012
    I' make house music on FL Studio on high level. I'd like to know what's the best headphone to use for producing house music. every site says a different best headphone. But what's really the best?
  2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Charleston South Carolina
    House sound

My thinking is, you want some isolation to eliminate distractions, and you want a good quality sound that's not muffled so you hear exactly what you're doing. In this list, the Beyerdynamic T5P or T70/T70P would be good. The Beats would be the worst. The Ultrasones are good headphones for acoustic music, but I think the Beyers would do a much better job with the technical chores in house music. There are many "monitor" headphones that cost less, but you don't get the clarity with those that you need. I hear a lot of house and techno tracks where the bass is badly mixed because the monitoring used poor quality headphones.

Closed Back Headphones
  3. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Apr 28, 2010
    There is a temptation to think that because you are producing bass heavy music you need bass heavy headphones - THIS IS WRONG! You need accurate headphones - Music production needs the same equipment whatever music you are producing. You need to hear an accurate representation of what is there or how can you make meaningful decisions? If you have innaccurate headphones your mix might sound great in the cans but will sound totally different on speakers.

Only really expensive nearfield monitors being fed by a studio quality soundcard will give a trully accurate representation. You need to get the best thing you can afford to get this job right. I switch between my little Yamaha nearfields and a Beyer T1, both are supplied with audio from a Presonus Firepod.

have a look at these -

GermanMAESTRO GMP 8.35 D Monitor Closed Headphones

Beyerdynamic DT880 PRO Semi-Open Headphones 250Ω (DT 880)

GermanMAESTRO GMP 450 PRO Closed Headphones (GMP450PRO)

Shure SRH940 Professional Closed Back Headphones (SRH 940)

Beyerdynamic DT48E Monitoring Headphones 200Ω (DT 48E)

Ultrasone PRO900 Closed-Back Professional Headphones (PRO 900)

Ultrasone Signature PRO Closed-Back Studio Headphones

Beyerdynamic Tesla T1 Semi-Open Reference Class Headphones