Best headphones for electronic music

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by smurthy, Nov 27, 2010.

1. smurthy

smurthy New Member

Hi,

I listen to music mostly at home, because it's quiet, and I like to listen mainly to two kinds of music: classical, and electronic (not only trance, but also ambient, minimal, techno, downtempo etc.) Is there a set of headphones that are more suited to these two kinds of music specifically? They say open back headphones are generally better because the sound is clearer.

I've read the reviews for the Grado SR80i and the Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 headphones, and they both seem good. I can't make up my mind though, between these.

Any suggestions.

Sandeep.

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Sandeep

What's your budget for this purchase? Although these two styles of music normally garner quite different suggestions I might have one or two for you:)

3. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Grado SR80i v Audio Technica ATH-AD700

Both these headphones are great for picking out the detail in your music. The Grado SR80i has a bit more punch at the bass end, which is likely to be best for electronic music.

Open back headphones give a more natural sound, thanks to the fact that sound can move freely in and out. The downside is that they leak sound out and noise in.

4. stevengamel

stevengamel New Member

Check out the Sennheiser HD595 headphones. They're great for electronic stuff. Not too sure about classical. But if a pair of headphones are balanced and detailed then they should work with most music.

5. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator