Best Headphones for Ipod

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Jburrett, Sep 17, 2011.

1. Jburrett

Jburrett New Member

Sep 17, 2011
    I have a pair of Shure 530 for the commute that have been excellent but not that comfortable and a Grado SR80i that are brilliant for the price. Due to a recent home move I have had to store away my external speaker high quality hifi system and now left with listening to music via my ipod.

I am desparate to get the very best out of my ipod whilst at home as I am missing the quality of my hifi separates.

I am hunting for a pair of full headphones and if necessary a small amp to bring back those perfect tones. The sort of music I listen to is Pink Floyd and classical.

The alternative I am facing to to build a separate room or pay for quality. The budget is up to £3k.
  2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Apr 28, 2010
    Hi Jburrett

If you are happy to spend this amount then I would not mess around and go for STAX.

If you have a really nice source I would combine it with the STAX, if You only have access to an iPod then you will need the Cypher Labs iPod DAC to make it worthwhile spending so much on the cans. If you want something Dynamic and portable with a closed back then I would recommend a set up involving an Ultrasone Edition 8 and probably a Just Audio AHA-120, again the Cypher Labs DAC is a worthwhile investment.

Have a look at these beautiful things!

STAX SRS-4170 Signature Electrostatic System (SR-407/SRM-006tS)

There are a few variants of systems from STAX around this price. Whilst I love the forum, at this kind of price you should give us a call for an in-depth chat. A £3000 headphone set up should the last word in clarity!:)