Best Headphones under £200

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by foglo, Sep 10, 2010.

1. foglo

foglo New Member

Hi fellow music lovers

i've been thinking about getting a new pair of headphones for a while now but i just want to be sure of my choice. I'm looking for a portable pair that don't leak too much sound and have a strong bass(as long as this doesn't ruin overall quality).I've seen the bose on-ear which seem like a contender. at the moment i'm using a pair of AKG k 450s, i personally like them but many have slated these headphones.

So please experts help me in my time of need... all answers appreciated.

Louis

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Foglo,

Please answer the following questions so I can recommend some headphones you will love.

1 - What music do you like? Heavy or Acoustic? Folk or Dubstep? Classical or Classic Rock? or all of the above? - if so who are your 3 favourite acts?

2 - Where are you going to use your new headphones? Do you travel a lot?

3 - Is on ear acceptable? Or is over the ear a must have?

I know you already touched on some of this but it is all helpful!:)

Also take a look at the reviews we've compiled of the best hi-fi headphones and best in-ear headphones at a range of different price points. I hope this gives you some ideas and helps you understand the variation of different headphones available.

3. foglo

foglo New Member

Hi dude thanks for the reply :D

music wise I mainly listen to rap or dance music but within dance I love trance house drum and bass and a new found love dubstep!!!! So I'd love a thumping bass!
    I'll probably be traveling with them to and from friends houses, going out and about but also to use at home. On ear or around but preferably a small size.
    I've recently checked out the vmoda cross fades which seem perfect for me! The've had great reviews and quite the reputation in the bass department. Also they look stylish, comfortable and durable (Kevlar cable :D)
    so what do you think about those?
    Sorry to add on favorite artists..... The prodigy, chase and status pendulum. 2pac Lupe fiasco linkin park immortal technique and lowkey :D

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  4. RobinHiFi

Hi Louis,

You are quite clearly what I like to call a Bass Monster! You crave a massive warm sound with smooth bubbling bass and no distortion at the bottom end.

Some headphones are all about clarity and detail, some are specially designed for bass monsters like yourself but the majority are somewhere inbetween. I'm going to list some the headphones with the biggest and best bottom end!

Denon AH-D1001 Closed Back Stereo Headphones Black

£89.95

Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO Closed Back Headphones 80Ω (DT 770)

£129.95
    Shure SRH840 Professional Closed-Back Headphones (SRH 840)

£169.95

The Shure SRH840 are without doubt as good as it is going to get for bass heavy fullsize under £200. They are clean sounding with plenty of detail and really well made too.

Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 EB Extended Bass Earphones White

£116.95

Sennheiser IE8 In-Ear Noise Isolating Earphones (IE 8)

£187.95

Klipsch Image X10 In-Ear Sound Isolating Headphones (Image X 10) £189.95

Super fi 5EB have the biggest bass of any in ear - probably too big for most. Sennheisers IE8 are the most balanced of the three with powerful and tightly controlled bottom end. The Klipsch image X10 is a powerful beast wrapped in a tiny and beautifully made shell. I would have a very hard time deciding between the well thought out Sennheiser and the exciting Klipsch X10.

I hope this helps
    :)

5. foglo

foglo New Member

Thanks for the suggestions :D

but I'm still liking the vmoda cross fades :) do u know how it compares to your ideas?

6. RobinHiFi

Hopefully we will be getting the V-Moda's into stock soon but I have not tried them yet so I cannot offer an opinion - People are saying these sound nearly as good as they look, although I'm not sure the look is for everyone!;)

7. foglo

foglo New Member

Hi I know it's a late post but I think I'm Shure set on the SHURE SRH840(see what u did there?) so thanks man

louis

8. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Best headphones upto £200

Yep, the Shure SRH-840 will not disappoint. They are really good value for under £200. Powerful, chunky bass response that will make rap, dance and dubstep come to life.

The SRH-840 is definitely one of our favourites in the office (call us and ask to have a chat with Martyn in the HiFi Headphones office - he listens with his SRH-840s to focus on the task while while printing out our orders each morning).