Best Headphones Under 80£

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Christo4, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Christo4

Christo4 New Member

Hello everyone, i have run in quite a little problem lately. I just can't decide on a pair of headphones :)). At first i was thinking about phones at about 100£, but after reading reviews of the best headphones on the web, watching review, info and other stuff i realized that that would have been a waste of money.
    The reason is that they need an amp or at least a good soundcard so that they would work at max capacity. The problem is that i mostly listen to music on my laptop, which has a decent soundcard, but it's not one of the best.
    Since i can't buy an amp (my budget doesn't allow it :( ) and since some phones under 100£ don't need an amp, i decided that the max budget would be 80£ and keep some spare money for a usb soundcard to use later.
    So now i am here, posting after many hours of research and almost a month of deciding that i'm very undecided about headphones. I was thinking about Senn HD 515, but from the reviews they aren't so good... I have looked at other phones, like the audio-technica ad500 (they just look kinda flimsy to me), akg K530 (from the reviews i have heard that they are mediocre) and other phones and just can't make up my mind, everything has it's pros and cons...

Please help me decide already :(.

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Christo4

There are headphones of all prices which will drive from your laptop unless it is really quiet, that would be unusual though.

I would say forget about an amp and let me know what the maximum budget you have is and I will do you a list of the most suitable headphones.

By the way are you after closed backs and or open and what sort of music do you like?

3. Christo4

Christo4 New Member

Well my max budget is 80£ and i usually listen to rock and classic music (i know, weird combo...). I would like open-back headphones, because of what i've read and heard they are the best sounding and have a better soundstage.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  4. RobinHiFi

5. Christo4

Christo4 New Member

Thank you for your help, i'll keep looking at phones for a little while because now i am torn between Senn HD 380 PRO and Grado SR60i. The reason is that even though i don't work in a studio, i still need some isolation because i don't want to disturb people around me (and also don't want to be disturbed by people around me) which i see happens a lot in my house. Either way, i will post a review of the Headphones when i get them, regardless of which i choose.

6. RobinHiFi

7. Christo4

Christo4 New Member

Thank you for the answer, but i think i will stay with the Sennheiser because they have many replaceable parts, which will help in the long run, if you ever run into any problems.

8. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Best Headphones Under £80

The Audio Technica ATH-M50 is a product backed up by service here in the UK and is designed for studio use (so built to handle a rough time).

Audio-Technica have service centre at their head office in Leeds and spares are available (we'll be stocking them soon).

The M50 is well worth considering.

9. Christo4

Christo4 New Member

Well maybe they are worth a shot, but i don't live in the UK :). I just approximated the price to match the ones that i have in my country :D. Unfortunately i found that the M50 are almost double the Senns here... :( . So i think i will surely be heading the Sennheiser HD 380 way :D.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  10. RobinHiFi

Wow, that is a big price difference! The HD380 are great anyway!:)