Best IEM under 300$???

Discussion in 'Portable Headphones & Earphones' started by shahrezsyed, May 5, 2012.

1. shahrezsyed

shahrezsyed New Member

Hi.
    I want to buy an IEM that is under 300$
    My requirements are:
    1. It needs to have very good build quality because Im buying it through my cousin. I live in Pakistan and can't return them.
    2. They need to be durable. I bought 115$ iBeats in February and the wire mesh just blew off in a month and they are completely useless now (in 3 months!)
    3. The music I listen to is Rock, Alternative, Pop, Jazz (sometimes), Dance, Soul, R&B (Coldplay, Aerosmith, Gaga, Rihanna, Sade, etc)

-Regards

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

There isn't really a best IEM - only a best one for your needs.

If you can get a genuine one of one of the following then you should really enjoy them - Best IEMs Guide

These descriptions will hopefully help:)

3. jfd

jfd New Member

replacement needed for Shure SE210

My Shure SE210s have died so I need a replacement.

I'm looking to spend around £80-90 but could probably be persuaded to go up to around £120.

The best thing about the Shures was the fit of the foam tips and the great noise cancellation, I'd say that these two things are most important to me. I listen to electronic music and the SE210s were not particularly bassy... so a bit more bass would be good but doesn't need to be mega or anything.

It's impossible to know what phones are gonna be like once you get them home, even by reading reviews... so I need some help!

I've read this Best In-Ear Headphones - Review of Top 10 Best Earphones and it seems like the Phonak Audeo PFEs or ClarityOnes may be a good bet... With some Comply foam tips... any comments? Do Comply tips generally fit on all phones??

The natural choice would be the Shure SE215s but I'm really not sure about the wire going over the ear. Is it possibly to wear them with the wire going down or is it the wrong angle?? Putting them in seems like its going to be a bit of a ball ache....?

4. RobinHiFi

Hi jfd,

I would not go for the Phonaks - they are great earphones but not really for bassheads, bass is great but balanced and not dominant. Also they fit over the ear too like the Shures.

TFTA - These are super bassy (terrible packaging which will change later in the year) and clean and clear at the top, great for Electronic music.

ClarityOne In-Ear Sound Isolating Earphones with Microphone
    £114.00 - These are similar, nice contemporary smile curve EQ.

Westone 1 True-Fit Single-Driver Earphones (Westone1)
    £109.96 - Very similar design to the SE215 but a bit more bottom end

Ultimate Ears 700 Sound Isolating Earphones
    £114.95 - These have a very pronounced smile curve, can be a little sibilant but if you want scooped mids and massive bass and treble these could be the ones.

Have a look at them anyway:)

5. jfd

jfd New Member

Thanks for your help Robin, that's very helpful.

The TFTA ones look bad ass. I hadn't heard of them before, the bass seems quite tempting.

I was worried about any new earphone not fitting as tightly as my Shures, but looking at the comply tips it seems that the same ones fit the TFTAs and the Shures, so I think I'll just buy more Shure tips...problem solved!! :-D

6. jfd

jfd New Member

one more thing... do you think the 2V1S are bassy enough or should i go wild and get the 3V2B extra bass?

I notice the latter are sold out on here and on theTFTA site, don't know if they'd be coming back into stock...

thanks!

7. RobinHiFi

The 2V1S has massive bass, only get this version if you really really want the bass to totally dominate.:)