Best In Ear Headphones

Discussion in 'Portable Headphones & Earphones' started by jch57, Aug 18, 2010.

1. jch57

jch57 New Member

I currently have a pair of Sennheiser HD25 for shows and i'm looking for some in ear headphones of a similar sound quality, i find the Sennheisers are excellent for House Music.

I have looked at Sennheiser IE8, Ultimate Ears Super-Fi 5 Pro and Triple Fi 10 Pro as well as the Klipsch S4 Images but i have never really focussed on in ear headphones before hence my limited knowledge.

Any recommendations and opinions would be brilliant!!!

2. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Best In-Ear Headphones

The first three you mentioned (Sennheiser IE8, Ultimate Ears Super-Fi 5 Pro and Triple Fi 10 Pro) are all excellent. It's very tricky to label one of them as the best in ear headphone. You may want to read our review of the best in-ear headphones for more details on the IE8 and Triple.fi 10 Pro. The Klipsch Image S4 is definitely an entry level IEM and does not compete with the others you mentioned.

I'd suggest the Phonak Audeo PFE 012 if you want the best bang for your buck and you're looking for a well made IEM earphone with clear, accurate sound. We like these a lot at HiFi Headphones.

If budget doesn't matter I would go for the Shure SE535. This really is the ultimate in-ear earphone, with detail, accuracy and balance. The construction is as good as it gets for in-ear headphones.

The Sennheiser IE8 is best for music with a powerful bass response - in fact also I listen to quite a bit of electronic music I find them a bit overpoweringly bass heavy. The earphones are very well made and are fitted with good quality replaceable cables.

The Super.fi 5 Pro and Triple.fi 10 Pro are both very similar, the first with two drivers (or armature speakers) and the latter with three drivers. The Triple.fi sounds a little more refined and smoother, when compared with the Super.fi 5 Pro. These also are well made and have replaceable cables (although the cabling is not quite as durable as the IE8).

Another headphone well worth considering is the Westone UM2. This headphone has a dual driver, and gives excellent clarity and plenty of punch at the bottom end. The earphone is very comfortable stays on the ears very securely. The Westone range is a bit of a favourite with the HiFi Headphones team, but if you really do want the best in-ear headphones then you may want to look at the Westone UM3x or Westone 3. All highly recommended.

3. Barry_Moore

Barry_Moore New Member

Westone UM2 Dual-Driver Earphones with Replaceable Cable (UM 2)

Just to add my support for the incredible Westone UM2 Dual-Driver Earphones with Replaceable Cable (UM 2) [HH00592].

These are really well built, pro, in ear phones. I hesitated a bit on whether to go for the dual driver, but I'm glad I did.

They are comfortable, easy to fit / extract (I have very fussy ear canals!) and give a truly true to source sound.

I can't fault them and they guys'n'gals are particularly helpful.

5* company to boot.

Barry Moore