Best Microphone for iPhone

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by ABRE, Nov 22, 2010.

1. ABRE

ABRE New Member

Nov 22, 2010
    I'm looking for a pair of in ear headphones with a good microphone for an iPhone. The audio quality of the headphones goes without saying, but I need a good microphone also.

I currently use the Apple in ear buds which are OK once I replaced the "shocking" silicone buds with foam, but the mic appears to be very poor given the number of complaints I get about not being able to hear my speech clearly when I'm using them.

I have looked at the Beyer Dynamic MMX100's and given the companies pedigree for both microphones & headphones they should be a winner, but before spending so much I'd like to be sure.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Apr 28, 2010
    Hi Andrew

Probably not enough attention is paid to this very practical concern. I can't remember ever seeing a proper comparison of the mics on iPhone compatible headphones. I have heard quite a few complaints about the apple mic and very rarely a complaint about a decent after market set from a quality manufacturer.

Beyer, Klipsch, Phonak and Shure (no surprise the Shure mics are good:)) have all received honourable mentions for the quality of mics in reviews but I think this is an important feature that most manufacturers would not be willing to fail on. These four brands have all expressed at one time or another that they knew the importance of their mic in their product which may be why journalists have felt the need to mention it. I suppose it is no surprise then that all four manufacture Pro Audio or commercially aimed products as their main concern.

In the absence of a table giving results of serious microphone testing I would say stick with one of the Pro companies and you can't go wrong.