Best over-ears for under £100

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Tokmaz, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Tokmaz

Tokmaz New Member

Hi,

I am looking for some headphones to use at home, and on the train to and from school, and my maximum budget is £100. I would mainly be listening to them on my iPod and will be listening to all kinds of different music, so I want something that can handle a variety but I do also like a bit of bass thump. Since I will be travelling with them, I would preferably like them to be tough and fold-able, but sound comes first. Also, if you thing it is really worth saving up for something like the ATH-M50, I may do that, but I think I would rather stick under £100. High power usage isnt really a problem on my ipod as I have a Fiio e6 on the way.

I have heard good things about the SHR440 and the Creative Aurvana Live, just wondering what you think.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

This follows on from Tokmaz's thread here

If you want to take them out with you, or travel or indeed commute, you really need a closed back pair. Open backs are for at home really, as they spill a lot of noise you would be very unpopular on the bus or train. Have you read our reviews of the best travel headphones? This is a good starting point.

Also have a look at these -
    Shure SRH840 Professional Closed-Back Headphones (SRH 840)
    £149.95

GermanMAESTRO GMP 8.35 D Monitor Closed Headphones
    £159.00

Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Closed Monitor Headphones Coiled Cable
    £134.95

Ultrasone HFI-780 Closed-Back Foldable Headphones (HFI 780)
    £159.95

I have arranged them from the darkest (bassiest) to the brightest (less bass more treble)

They are all comfortable and easy to transport and quite tough too. They share a sound which works well for contemporary music but will work with different genres.

Feel free to ask more about the models which you think may suit you:D

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  3. RobinHiFi

4. Tokmaz

Tokmaz New Member

Hi again,

Is there any reason you do not supply the fiio e6 as the upgrade to the e5?

5. RobinHiFi

They are coming but we just have not got them onto the website yet - No problems with them as far as I am aware but I have not really tested them yet.:)