Best sound quality/noise suppression and price

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by ayrshiredude, Jul 23, 2012.

1. ayrshiredude

ayrshiredude New Member

Hi

I am currently using a pair of Sure E2c IEMs which I really like the sound quality of, though perhaps a little more top end would be nice. As far as bass goes I am quite happy with what they produce. However I find they don't really offer great suppression of outside noise. I am using them with Comply foam tips, I originally got a 3 size pack so have tried all 3 sizes and the large is the best of them all. I spend an hour on the train going to work each day and can hear so much of the noise around me. also when I am flying the aircraft noise is still quite obvious.

What IEMs would provide similar or better audio quality with similar if not better bass/treble and provide superior noise isolation? I would say my budget is up to £150 ish. I mainly use my Samsung Mobile phone to listen to the music on, I use VBR high quality files and the phone is very good for listening to music on.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. KornelHiFi

KornelHiFi Administrator

Hi ayrshiredude,

It is a little bit tricky because the earphones that isolate the best at around this price range normally have a single BA driver which is not quite capable of producing a punchy bass response. They do, however, have a nicer top end with better detail. Having said all that, I find that all the below models isolate better than the E2C's:

Shure SE315 In-Ear Sound Isolating Headphones in Clear (SE 315)

Etymotic hf5 Earphones Black

Westone UM1 True-Fit Single-Driver Earphones (UM 1)

Also, special tips like the Comply Foam tips, the Shure Black Foam tips or the triple flange tips definitely improve the isolation over the normal, stock single flange earbuds.

Hope this helps :)

3. ayrshiredude

ayrshiredude New Member

Thanks for your suggestions, would the Sure's give lower, equal or better bass than the E2c's? Also how would the Westone 2's fair in comparison to the E2c's?

Thanks

4. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Westone UM2 are a better match for an upgrade from the Shure E2C. Long time since I heard an E2C but I remember them being balanced with a touch of warmth. The Westone UM2 is cleaner and clearer but with a bit more warmth - very musical. Westone 2 are pretty bass heavy - very different EQ.