Beyerdynamic dt770 80 ohm or Vmoda m80

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by DaveC, Jun 12, 2013.

1. DaveC

DaveC New Member

Hi all,

I am looking for some help deciding between these two.

They would be used mainly at home for watching movies/listening to music or for long journeys (trains and planes). I have sure se215's at the moment for general on the go listening. They would be used either with a mac book pro or samsung galaxy s4 (I would get an amp for the beyers if i went for them). The music I listen to is mostly rock (metal, classic rock, ska-punk, punk) some folk and even some drum n bass.

I am looking at these two because they both have some very good reviews, I like the look of both and they are in my budget. I have not yet come across a comparison of the two and would like some expert advice and opinions on them.

Thanks

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Those two are as different from each other in sound as well as size and portability, as night is from day in my opinion. The M80 is pretty close to neutral and very portable, on-ear, while the Beyer is large, fully around-ear, very comfortable, and tends to sound bassy, although not extremely so. The Beyer also has a strong treble while the v-moda has a soft treble. Both are excellent quality headphones. Please add any other questions you have, and someone else may have comments too.

3. DaveC

DaveC New Member

Hi Dale,

Thanks for the reply.

Would I be right in saying the Beyers would be the more "fun" sounding headphones?
    I would prefer a headphone were I could "get lost" in the music as I wont really be doing any clinical listening. Comfort is very important as I do 3-4 12 hour flights a year (Other then that and a couple of long train rides they would mainly be used indoors). At this point I think i am leaning towards the Beyers but am slightly concerned the bass could be too much for my taste in rock music?

4. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

I'm glad you mentioned this, because I think the Beyer would suit you very well. It has a noticeable warm flavor that I think suits rock music well, but it's not a heavy bass that has a big emphasis or 'hump' in the upper bass particularly. There are a few reasons I think you'd be much happier with the Beyer: The earcups are fully around-ear and comfy, and the M80 is not. With the Beyer, if the default sound is a little too warm, you can get the 'pleather' type earpads like they use on the DT770 Limited Edition, and I remember that that cools the tonality a bit, which some people prefer. Those are the earpads I use on my DT770, and I can say with no reservation at all -- it is totally fun for musical sound.