Beyerdynamic DT990 32 ohm - questions

Discussion in 'Full Size Headphones' started by DarkLiquidus, Jun 23, 2014.

1. DarkLiquidus

DarkLiquidus New Member

Hi,

I know the thread title is pretty generic, but I would like to know some things about these headphones.
    Firstly, is there a big difference between this 32 Ohm version and the 250Ohm/600Ohm one or the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro (250Ohm)?
    What is the sound of these headphones compared to the one of Beyerdynamic DT880 both the 32 and 250 Ohm version?
    I have already listened to DT990 32 ohm version and found it really good sounding, but with slightly too emphasized treble.
    Also to clarify, I ask about those impedance-sound differences, because I intended to buy the one with lower impedance. I don't think I could afford a decent headphone amp/DAC.

I would strongly appreciate any help :)

2. john-hifi

john-hifi Super Moderator Staff Member

In my experience lower impedance headphones are good for low powered devices but they are more likely to peak - especially at the higher frequencies. Higher impedance headphones are more controlled/balanced but need more power to get the most from them. For example - with the right source the 600ohm DT880 sounds a lot better than the 32ohm version.

It would be good to get other opinions on this :)