Beyerdynamic DT990 PRO vs AKG K-701

Discussion in 'Full Size Headphones' started by Hyperblue, Jun 22, 2013.

1. Hyperblue

Hyperblue New Member

Hello,

I have been struggling with a decision which is where to get a Beyerdynamic DT990 PRO or a AKG K-701, the primary use of which will be gaming 70% (all genre of games), music 20% (mainly dubstep, alternative modern rock and some pop) and films 10%. I will be purchasing these headphones with the Asus Xonar DGX and a headphone amp which I am not sure about yet. My priorities for these headphones will be an immersive gaming experience so good bass is a must, however I also want to play competitively which will require good positional audio, but I still want an immersive experience>positional audio however only by a bit, keep in mind that price is not a problem with these 2 headphones, however if you suggest anything new make sure it's in the range if ~£150

I have a couple of questions:

1) Is the bass really that bad on the AKG 701's?
    2) Is the DT990's mids really that bad as I have heard?
    3) What amp should I get £80 max (I know wrong forum but need more opinions anyway :p)
    4) Is bass that important for immersion in the game (such as Skyrim, BF3 etc.)?
    5) What headphones do you think will be the most immersive in games and the music I listen to?
    6) What do you think would be the best out of the two for my uses?

2. krisAKG

krisAKG New Member

AKG for me they are great. Check out the fiio e11 or higher for your amp.

You could even look at something like the AKG K550 I have a set with an e11 epic for music, recording and gaming.

3. Hyperblue

Hyperblue New Member

I shall be purchasing the DT990's 250 ohms thanks a lot guys, not to choose an amplifier (if anyone can help I have a budget of £80, I can stretch this to £100 if need be).

I have heard the O2 is a good amplifier, however, I cannot locate it anywhere for £100, any ideas?

Also the fiio 10 comes up a lot, not sure about this.

And finally people say I need an amplifier and a dac, what is the difference (if you can offer examples of products).

Thanks!

4. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

FiiO E07K Andes Portable Headphone Amplifier & USB DAC

I bought the E07k (above) last month, and it's a gem. It serves as a computer DAC and headphone amp, and it can serve as a headphone amp for portable music players. Don't let the small size fool you - it has a healthy power reserve.

5. Hyperblue

Hyperblue New Member

Thanks, I have heard the O2 is good, has anyone had any experience with this amp?

6. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

I owned the O2. Do you want a separate headphone amp without DAC? That's a fairly advanced topic since the wrong mismatch could be expensive.

7. Hyperblue

Hyperblue New Member

Does the ASUS Xonar DGX not contain an internal DAC, that was what I was going to pair it with.

8. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Most headphone amps, especially the less expensive, have just a simple analog input that requires a very clean signal from whatever is driving it. What output do you have on the DGX card that would send an unamped (clean) signal to the headphone amp? Does the DGX have a "Line Out" that outputs the signal from its DAC and thus bypasses the DGX headphone amp? If so, then you can take advantage of the DGX DAC, bypassing the DGX's own internal headphone amp, and sending the DAC output to your headphone amp. Is the DGX DAC a high fidelity DAC, which is usually asynchronous and reduces jitter to near zero?

9. Hyperblue

Hyperblue New Member

I have no clue, I have only ordered the sound card I haven't received it yet.

I am also an amateur so I wouldn't know anyway haha.

10. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

I am also an amateur, so you have to learn as you go along, because professional assistance is very expensive.