Beyerdynamic dtx 101ie

Discussion in 'Portable Headphones & Earphones' started by markhort, Jul 26, 2011.

1. markhort

markhort New Member

Has anyone got a pair yet? I know they haven't been out for long. After a new pair as I'm fed up of the S4i's keep on breaking.

Also been looking at Ultimate Ears 700, seen them from £80 so they seem a bit of bargain.

2. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Beyerdynamic dtx 101ie v Ultimate Ears 700

They are both good headphones.

I've heard at demo sample of the Beyerdynamic dtx 101ie at the factory and they sound superb. Rich bass and silky smooth trebles. My only complaint is that the midrange is a little recessed when compared with something like the Phonak PFE 012.

The UE 700 has lots of bass and very sparkly trebles. I personally find the UE700 a little false sounding. I guess they work well for music with big bass, but not that balanced in my opinion.

3. markhort

markhort New Member

Thanks for the reply. Been looking at the PFE 012 also. So bloody hard to choose. .

4. Shaun-HiFi

The Phonak Audeo PFE 012 has a much more natural, accurate sound compared with the dtx 101ie or UE700. Bass response is well defined (assuming they are sealing correctly in the ear - if not try Comply Foam tips), but the bass is not powerful.

What kind of music are you into?

5. markhort

markhort New Member

All sorts really. House, funky house and dance to Pop, R&B (not to much) to rock. Really does depend on how I feel. Which is why I need a allrounder.

6. Shaun-HiFi

Your tastes definitely tend towards a warmer sound. My hunch is that you would prefer the rich smooth sound of the dtx 101ie.

The styles you mention all have pretty big bass aspects, which dynamic drivers do a great job of reproducing. The balanced armature driver based PFE on the other hand will let you pick out all the details and hear instruments separately.

7. markhort

markhort New Member

Thanks again Shaun for your help. I'm now thinking I might wait for the new B&W C5 inear headphones to come out at the end of the August.

It's a shame I can't try before you buy, but the Apple stores always have the over priced and under preforming Dr. Dre rubbish.

8. markhort

markhort New Member

How the Beyerdynamic dtx 101ie fair up against the SoundMagic E10's? I know the DTX101ie's are more than double the E10's price.

9. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Having compared I prefer the E10 - this could be the cheap bit of me talking though as the two have a similar sound but the SoundMAGICs are half the price and made of metal.

I guess if they were the same price you would have to make the decision on sound alone and although similar everybody would have their own favourite.