Budget Headphones

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by ACEllis, Sep 19, 2011.

1. ACEllis

ACEllis New Member

Hi,

I am looking to upgrade the earphones that come with the iphone.

I have been looking at several Soundmagic models, having seen responses to other posts, but would like to know how they compare to each other.

I have so far been considering the PL11, MP21 and E10 models.

The microphone with the MP21 would be very useful, but I wouldnt choose this if it meant a backward step in sound quality- how does the MP21 compare to the PL11?

Do the E10s provide a noticeable difference over the other models?

Would welcome any other suggestions, but from what I have read these appear to provide the best value for money.

Cheers,

Adam

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Adam

The MP21 should still be a good upgrade from the Apple buds, just the fact they are in-ear is an improvement but they also sound better anyway.

If you can wait there will be a microphone version of the E10 available before Christmas!

I know it is tempting to believe that all the headphones are pretty much the same but nothing could be further from the truth. The SoundMAGIC E10 is proof of this, although the design is reasonably simple, they are beautifully made but it is their sound which makes them special. Badly made headphones sound terrible, revealing very little detail with the sound presented as a wall of indistinct noise with mushy or non-existant bass. The SoundMAGIC E10 are a world away from this, they have an excellent contemporary feel with warm distinct bass and clear clean detail. To better them sound-wise you would need to spend at least twice the price.

3. ACEllis

ACEllis New Member

Hi Robin,

Do you know when the mic version of the E10 will be available? And any idea of the price?

Are the MP21s considerably better than the PL11s? They may be a good enough compromise for me, unless you would seriously recommend waiting for the E10s?

Thanks,

Adam

4. RobinHiFi

The PL11 are a bit more contemporary sounding than the MP21 - heavier bass, slightly less bright at the top - MP21 are more neutral, very pleasant sounding, calm but not boring. We do not yet have a first delivery date for the E10 with mic but our best guesstimate is the end of October.

5. ACEllis

ACEllis New Member

Hi,

Is there any update on when the E10 with mic will be available?

Thanks,

Adam

6. RobinHiFi

It is scheduled for November. Obviously they want to get them into the UK before Christmas... so fingers crossed:)

7. ACEllis

ACEllis New Member

Hi,

Sorry to hassle about this again, but is there an update on if/when the E10s with mic might be available?

Thanks

8. KornelHiFi

KornelHiFi Administrator

Hi Adam,

We should get some E10M's in around February. Once we receive them, they'll go immediately online, so it is worth to keep an eye out on our website. ;)