Can cans?

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by guidewell, Jan 15, 2013.

1. guidewell

guidewell New Member

Jan 15, 2013
    I have a present - a Nokia Lumia 820 Windows 8 Phone with Nokia Music and a pair of teeny fragile ear-buds. Something a lot more robust and musical is needed. Can any headphones of the wireless persuasion give me a good listening experience? My hi-fi style is Class A amplifications and treasured Spendor BkC1 loudspeakers (personally modified by Spencer Hughes). I'm a bit of a purist (I still love my vinyl and the music of the 1950s, '60s and '70s recorded on it) and a blind retired London concert pianoforte tuner ( now living the easy life of a deck-chair putter-upper at the seaside). Just how good is the sort of content I can stream and/or download?
  2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Charleston South Carolina
    The streaming content is mostly low-bandwidth signal, even if that streaming samples high resolution downloads. Some streaming services may offer a higher bandwidth, and Spotify sounded pretty good to me when I sampled it a few days ago. Then again, I've never been disappointed by streaming bandwidth for sampling purposes, but a higher bandwidth is better for extended listening of course. It's impossible to guess how any one person would judge the quality of (for example) a 256 or 320 kbps music stream.

Downloads are another matter. We are still in the dark ages when it comes to high quality downloads, and some of the services gouge people on price, others have little selection, etc. Some of them even upsample lower quality recordings to fool their customers. And in some cases the folks offering downloads don't even know that the material supplied to them is upsampled, although those can be tested pretty reliably.

I get music wherever I can - CD rips, DVDs, downloads - the first priority is the actual recording, then quality is secondary, although I rarely have a choice.

EDIT: Someone else will answer about wireless, since it's tricky.

Edit: Too bad they didn't give you an Apple phone or ipod touch, since you would get earpods and you could get a Dirac player and enjoy the near ultimate in hi-fi sound.