Can headphones block out bass from Noisy Neighbours?

Discussion in 'Headphone & Earphone General Discussion' started by Heaphone Si, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Heaphone Si

Heaphone Si New Member

Mar 18, 2012
    My neighbours have an annoying surround sound system with a sub woofer connected to their TV which they have turned down but I can still hear the bass through the shared wall.

Can anyone recommend me a pair of headphones please that could block out the bass from next door?
    I would prefer wireless if possible as I have an optical to analogue convertor box connected to my LG TV so wireless would best utilise the output from that so I'm told.

Any advice will be gratefully received from this newbie poster
  2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Charleston South Carolina
    Most blocking technology treats the highs, not the bass, since you likely aren't "hearing" the neighbors' bass as much as you are feeling it. But some of the really sophisticated noise reduction like Bose uses can also reduce some bass, but even that is very limited since it treats only what goes into your ears, not what impinges on your body.
  3. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Apr 28, 2010
    Dale Thorn is right that vibrations will still make it into your body. Noise cancelling headphones will work well on this type of noise though - they do well with low frequency sound like engine rumble (or noisy neighbors). They all use very similar technology so although the Bose ones are often recommended these cheaper alrternatives will have the same noise cancelling effect -

Digital Silence DS101A Noise Cancelling Earphones with Mic Black

Audio Technica ATH-ANC1 QuietPoint Noise Cancelling Headphones

Blackbox M10 Active Noise Cancelling Headphones

Another alternative is to buy a massive 5.1 system yourself and have Bass fun at your neighbors expense!:D