Can I get even better sound quality?

Discussion in 'Portable Headphones & Earphones' started by Musicman, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Musicman

Musicman New Member

I bought a pair of UE Triple 10's last year and use them mainly to listen to my iPod, which plays through a Graham Slee Voyager amp. I use the UE earphones at home too, played through an Arcam amp.
    The combination of the Super 10's and the Voyager amp provides a great sound, but as a music lover and self-confessed gadget junkie, I'm wondering if I can get even better sound quality if I upgrade one or both these components?
    I listen to all types of music and use uncompressed WAV files on my iPod.

2. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Better sound quality with earphones

The biggest improvement I've experienced with sound quality on my Sennheiser IE8's is adding custom sleeves. The soundstage significantly widened and the detail is much sharper. I can't put these earphones down at the moment.

See this review of the IE8 with ACS Custom Sleeves for a good summary.

Mind you it does seem to depend on the earphone to some degree. I've had reports from UE Triple.fi owners that the sound did not change dramatically, but obviously sound isolation and comfort were improved.

3. Nfes64

Nfes64 New Member

Good advice, also consider saving up for custom IEMs if you want a bigger step in quality.

Be carefull, if you know you are prone to upgradeitis, then spending money on custom tips is not worth it (since you'll be curious about customs in 2-3 months) compared to custom IEMs!