Can my Lexicon Alpha drive some Beyerdynamic D770 Headphones(250 Ohm)?

Discussion in 'Headphone Amplifiers' started by Benjive, Jan 10, 2015.

1. Benjive

Benjive New Member

Hey,

I currently own a Lexicon Alpha, and after taking two headphones back to the store as faulty, I was very impressed by the Beyer D770(250 Ohm's), but have heard that the 80 ohm version loose clarity and tightness in the bass region. So i would much prefer the former as My amp has died and am in a financial predicament. The alpha seemed fine powering 60 ohm Headphones with the Headphone volume control at about 2-3 and would be much to loud at 6-7.

Now, as the alpha states " High power headphone amp for any headphones", I am wondering if it could power these Beyer as people suggest that Sibilance it also reduced considerably

The Lexicon Alpha manual states it delivers 20mW at 50 Ohm. That's 1 volt /20mA

The Headphones have a nominal sound pressure of 96Db and they are 250 Ohm as mentioned.

I am not able to take my Alpha to the store to test them as it would require installing the drivers, which i'm not so they would let me do.
    If anyone has this combo or experience with something similar it would greatly help my cause.

Thanks

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

20 mw at 50 ohms seems very low power, yet you note it's too loud (way too loud) with a 60 ohm headphone. So I don't know. It should power the DT770 series regardless of impedance. I personally would choose the newer DT-770 32-ohm version that replaced the 88th anniversary edition, but that's up to you.

3. Benjive

Benjive New Member