Character of sound - HD600, Beyer DT880, AKG702, A/T AD900

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by russraff, Oct 22, 2012.

1. russraff

russraff New Member

I need a bit of help, here. I have (had) a pair of Beyerdynamic DT880 250ohm cans form my PC and they were superb. They are broken, now, so I want to replace them. However, I want to know if my money is better spent elsewhere but I don't know what "character" each of the cans in the title has.

I know Senns are supposed to be warmer and AKG is more spacious but I want a bit more info on specifics. I listen to a fair bit of metal and rock - I like the soundstage to be full. Never liked just listening to a piano and nothing else (though I still listen to classical music, too). Gaming is also a passion and I have a desk mic. If anything the Beyerdynamics were lacking in punch for gaming but I could live with that. Someone has recommended the new Shure 940's as a good closed back alternative, but reviews seem to be light on the ground... And I haven't met anyone that has had the AudioTechnica 900's at all. Is that 'cause they don't measure up to the rest?

I have a Firestone Audio Cute Beyond amp and my source is a PC with a pretty high end sound card - Titanium HD.

Any help in describing what these headphones are like compared to one another would be great.

Thanks,

Russell

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

The Soundmagic HP100 should be much better than the Shure 940 (I had both), with better bass (tight, powerful, great impact), lean upper bass and lower mids like the 940, and less pronounced (but accurate) treble than the 940. I had the Senn 600/650/800 - currently using the Amperior and have a Momentum on the way. The new v-moda M100 looks like a great bet also.

3. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

It sounds like you already know the DT880, so I will describe how the others differ using them as a mid point. HD600 are warmer with shorter soundstage and not quite as good hold over detail, they are very natural sounding but don't feel as balanced or as revealing as the DT880. AKG K702 have a less natural feel although you get the sense you are hearing everything. Their character is a little odd and not what I would immediately recommend to you. AT AD900 have a bigger soundstage but a slightly lighter feel than the DT880 - very transparent and spacial - I imagine these would be good for gaming. Personally I would almost certainly end up with the DT880 or if I fancied a closed back I might go for Dales suggestion of a SoundMAGIC HP100 but I think I might be equally happy with the ATH AD900 - Just be aware that the AD900 has a very loose (comfy) fit on the head, so go carefully with immersive gaming or you could be back for more suggestions a lot quicker than you hoped:)

4. russraff

russraff New Member

Would I hear any benefit in going for the 600 ohm versions of the DT880 over the 250 ohm? I see that Beyer have released a closed back headphone I wasn't aware of (the DT48E - who comes up with these names?) are these any good or are they overkill for what I am using them for?

Sorry for the questions but it has been a while since I looked at headphones. In fact the last time would be a couple of years back when I bought some Westone UX2's from this very shop!

5. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

The DT-48E is actually being discontinued - it's a 75 year old design, oddly enough. So based on having used those, I'm 99 percent sure you don't want that one.