Cheaper alternatives to Phonak PFE 122's

Discussion in 'Portable Headphones & Earphones' started by Alexvs, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Alexvs

Alexvs New Member

Cheaper alternatives to Phonak PFE 122's?

Hi,

I unfortunately recently lost/had stolen my pair of PFE 122's which I bought from the online store back in May. Seems you can't even trust people at work to leave possessions alone after leaving them at work over a weekend.

Anyway, I was lucky enough last time round to get them during the 50% discounted period and loved them paired up with the green filters I bought from Phonak. They're the best in-ears I've owned when compared with my Klipsh S2's and freebies that came with phones and so on. Obviously as you can tell I've not experienced many sets so wasn't a hard thing for the PFE's to be the best as expected to be. What I need now is a replacement set which isn't going to cost too much (£50 - 80 range) as I don't trust colleagues/cleaners or myself for this not to happen again. I don't expect to get the same quality for that price but if I can get as close to as possible that would be brilliant as I'm not a huge audiophile, I just like listening to music.

My normal use is in work, at the gym and occasionally while on my bike into work (one ear in not both ;)). I mostly listen to RnB, pop, rap and mixed up with some Mumford & Sons and acoustic music. I have a varied taste depending on my mood so an all-rounder is needed.

Do you think that the PFE's would be reduced in price at all seeing as they're stopping production soon? I'm tempted to wait and hope they have a last deal on but wouldn't mind trying others. The various ones I've looked at so far are Soundmagic E10's for the budget pair, Klipsh S4's for similar and the Shure 215's for my wait till payday and spend top of my budget.

Any advice is very welcome.

Thanks

Alex

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

In Ear Headphones - Ear Canal In Ear Monitor Headphones (IEM)

Here's a list sorted by price, so you can see the price ranges at a glance. I like the Soundmagics myself, but the Shure SE215 has a great reputation too. I find that the different styles make a big difference in how they fit, and many of them don't fit for me, so see what you think.

3. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

4. Alexvs

Alexvs New Member

Thanks Dale I did have a look at the list to get an idea as well as many reviews of various sets in the price range. The design of the Phonak's were amazing how they just disappeared in the ear which is where the Shure's grabbed me as they look like they won't protrude too much either.

Excellent Robin, I'll take a look at those and to be fair I'm not that fussed about the mic I only ever used the one button control on the PFE's to skip tracks and never to actually make calls. I can be less lazy and get the phone out if I need to skip tracks.

From the PL50's and Shure's which would you say has the closest sound to the PFE's or that level of sound giving clear bass and detailed overall sound? Think it's now out of these 2 based on reviews here, Head-Fi and the general public on retail sites. Thanks for this suggestion.

5. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

I can't say which is closest to the PFE, but the PL50 is a little shy on both ends, while the Shure is better on both counts according to my sources. In my brief time with the PL50 I liked it OK, but it's not a match for the SE215.

6. Alexvs

Alexvs New Member

Thanks again Dale, that's the kind of feedback I need to make a decision. For either of these pairs I've gotta wait till pay day so only 2 weeks then I can order one. Will read up in the meantime on here and see what users have to say.

7. Alexvs

Alexvs New Member

Well I've decided to go with the SE215's and will hopefully be buying them today as long as I get my discounted voucher through work so they've come just shy of £70.

Thanks again for the help :)