closed back circumaural for £150.00ish

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by BennyBoy1983, Dec 24, 2010.

1. BennyBoy1983

BennyBoy1983 New Member

Hi There

I would like some advice please. I've done enough research that I think I'd like some closed back circumaural headphones and I think I want to spend around £150.00. I would mainly be using them at work either with my iphone or Spotify through a computer. I mainly listen to punk, punk rock, acoustic and sometimes metal, ska, jazz. Ok so I listen to a wide range of stuff but not really to dance or rnb or anything like that. I've had a look at some headphones and reviews and it seem that I could do alot worse than either the Ultrasone HF-780 or Beyerdynamic DT770 80 Ohm version. I just wonder if I should choose one over the other or if there are any others I should consider. I'm willing to consider any although I'm not too keen on Sennheiser having had 2 sets on in-ears from them and both broken within a year.

Many thanks for anyone who gives me any advice.

Lastly, yes I do realise it's christmas eve so I dont expect n instant reply.

Merry Christmas to all.

2. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Closed back headphones for £150

Both the Ultrasone HFI-780 or Beyerdynamic DT770 are very good choices.

The DT770 has better sound isolation than the HFI-780 and also more weight to the bass end.

The mid-range is really quite forward on the HFI-780, which makes them sound brighter.

For comfort I would always choose the DT770.

3. BennyBoy1983

BennyBoy1983 New Member

Hi Shaun

Thanks for your help.

One question though, when you refer to a set of headphones being 'bright' what does that mean exactly?

Thanks very much.

Ben

4. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Closed back headphones around £150

When a headphone (or speaker) is described as bright it means that treble sounds are more forward. If a headphone is very bright it's likely you will hear lots of detail, but it can become fatiguing after extended listening.

Both these headphones are relatively balanced, but the HFI-780 definitely has a more forward midrange. This makes them particularly good at picking out detail in vocals, acoustic instruments, etc.

5. BennyBoy1983

BennyBoy1983 New Member

Thanks for that, much appreciated.

Just to throw one more pair into the mix. SHURE SRH840.

How do I know if I want a 'bright' headphone or not. Is it as much down to personal preference? I suppose I'm not crazy into base, I don't listen to r n b, hip hop, or dance etc. So I assume I would perhaps prefer a brighter headphone?

Sorry if I'm being a pain, to be honest I would probably be happy with any of them but I just want to make sure I get some I'm really happy with.

Thanks again!

Ben

6. Trunkz

Trunkz New Member

The Shure's are a wonderful pair of cans, that tend to excel with the lower frequencies. So if you're a basshead, you go for these. However you've mentioned you dont listen to rnb / dance, so I take it electronic/dnb/techno are out of the question, in which case you may want to go for the Beyers or the Ultrasones.

:)

P.S - Personally, Beyers over Ultrasones :p

7. BennyBoy1983

BennyBoy1983 New Member

Awesome thanks for your help!