Closed back circumaurals for iPhone use on modest budget

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by mikecooper, Dec 9, 2011.

1. mikecooper

mikecooper New Member

Dear Experts,

I've spent the last couple of weeks trying to narrow down my options for heaphones for use with my iPhone. I don't find on-ear cans comfortable, so they need to be around-the-ear types. I also don't have a huge budget, either (my partner will baulk if I spend more than about £60 on yet another pair of cans). They need to be pretty good at keeping the outside out, as I want to listen on trains and the London Underground.

To give you an idea of the sound I like, I've got some Beyer DT231s, which are lovely for the price, but they're not loud enough without lugging an amp around, the ear size is slightly too small for me, and they have a very long cable for portable use. And I love the airiness and transparency of my AKG K701s, but the mobile beasts I'm looking for would need to have more bass than them to compete with the rumble of transport systems.

Years ago (and I mean about twenty years ago) my favourites were an open and a closed back pair of Audio Technicas, but I haven't heard any of their recent offerings. I tried on a pair of Sennheiser HD 202s recently and was horrified by them (unless they were a duff pair, they were terribly woolly-sounding to me), and in fact, most headphones I try seem wooly to some degree. Unlike most men of my age, I still have the top end of my hearing, so clarity is important.

So, apart from the acoustics, here's that shopping list of practicalities in full...

- circumaural
    - closed back
    - short cable
    - low impedance

Can you suggest something that would be comfortable, sound pretty good and not have miles of cable either? Or am I looking in vain here?

Thanks for your help!

-Mike

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Mike

This is a very tough one due to the tightness of the budget - I will not encourage you to incur the wrath of your other half, I know that sinking feeling when you are trying to explain the reasons behind that new purchase all too well!:D

One idea might be a tiny in line amp for your DT231s - these are tiny, 40mm x 40mm x 9mm.

FiiO E6 Portable Headphone Amplifier in Black (FiiO E-6)
    £19.99 - Really impressive for such a small amp, features a huge frequency response, four EQ presets. It should be powerful enough.

A lot of headphones in this price range are a little wooly sounding or completely lacking in bass.

Audio-Technica ATH-T200 Closed Back Hi-Fi Headphones (T200)
    £29.95-These are reasonable but lack detail and clarity, for the price they are good.

Shure SRH240A Professional Closed Back Headphones (SRH 240)
    £59.95-These are very well built and are quite impressive, but they do roll off quite quickly at the bottom end. They don't feel too bassy, they lack real bottom end power.

In the New Year we will have some Fostex TH7B which would fit your criteria a bit better.

Hope that helps:)

3. mikecooper

mikecooper New Member

Thanks for that detailed reply, Robin!

I appreciate I have some tight constraints, here. I actually already have an iBasso D2+ amp, but I find portability a factor for carrying around and travelling.

The Fostex sound interesting - can you tell me more about them?

And (just for the sake of argument) say my budget could stretch a little, towards the £100 mark..?

4. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator