Closed Headphone Help

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by JMCD, Jul 16, 2011.

1. JMCD

JMCD New Member

Hi, I'm looking to buy a pair of closed headphones but I'm a bit stuck and thought I would post a thread and see if I could get a little bit of help.

Firstly, I am looking for a pair of closed headphones in the price range of at the maximum £200. I will be using these headphones to listen to my ipod, laptop and I will also be using them for gaming. Whilst using them for Gaming I will be connecting them to an Astro Mix Amp.

I mainly listen to Hip Hop and Grime. Any help or suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi JMCD

Hip Hop and Grime need a big chunky response and whilst I prefer open backs mainly I find Closed backs work really well with contemporary electronic music. Here are the two models I would suggest, they would work well for both your Music tastes and Gaming or Films -

Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Closed Monitor Headphones Coiled Cable
    £124.96

and

Shure SRH840 Professional Closed-Back Headphones (SRH 840)
    £149.95

I am not a fan of the Monster Beat stuff at all, they do not just emphasise the bass they allow it to dominate the rest of the sound leaving the mids wimpy and distant. They are also horrifically over priced, ignore this fashion trend and avoid disappointment. Both of these headphones far outstrip the beats for sound and build quality.

Have a quick look at this thread involving Rancid Badger

and this thread involving jamesg094

These are both fantastic headphones which isolate well, are comfy, are very sturdy and have a very pleasing sound whilst being very easy to drive. The Shure are a little bit more armoured and have a replaceable cable but this accounts for the difference in price. Both feel exciting and have plenty of detail but also a strong and authoritative bottom end, the overall feel is just on the warm side of balanced:)