Closed headphone recommendation

Discussion in 'Full Size Headphones' started by penners, Apr 23, 2013.

1. penners

penners New Member

I have loads of headphones, in ear, on ear, over ear, but I'm looking for a high quality pair that will allow me to listen enjoy music at high quality while my better half watches tv in the same room.

I have a pair of bose qc that just don't cut it; my denon d2000 look closed but don't isolate; my sennheiser px200/2 are okay for the train but not good enough for my hifi; my favourite pair are 20 year-old beyerdynamic dt811, but they're open and don't isolate.

My main system is linn DS/ linn kairn/ mf x-can v2 with upgraded ps, I will also use them with a naim unitiqute. I don't like overemphasised bass, but like to hear what's going on. The beyerdynamic can be bright but I love the detail, soundstage, separation they give and I find them the most musical of the lot. Something at least as good but with good isolation is my aim. Budget can be stretched if necessary, but I'd be happier to stay within £500 or so. Are there any obvious choices I should be considering?

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Certain things you mention are intriguing, such as the Bose QC (QC15?) not doing the job. Then having the upgraded x-can v2 says you're a careful listener who needs good isolation to hear the really fine details that external noise would compromise. I've had and still have quite a few closed headphones, but I'm doubtful any of those would be perfectly satisfactory in the same room with someone watching TV. Modern TVs especially have fairly dynamic sound systems, and the broadcasts take advantage of that, so I can't imagine your TV system producing a very even and compressed minimal listening volume. You would almost certainly need noise canceling headphones in my opinion.

Here's a list of what the local store has for sale, but I'm not familiar with most of these.

Noise Cancelling Headphones - Noise Reduction Headphones

3. john-hifi

john-hifi Super Moderator Staff Member

Hi penners,

If it is maximum isolation you are after but without compromising sound quality, then I would take a look at the PSB M4U 2. They have superb passive isolation as well as the choice of active noise cancelling. The sound quality is really impressive, the highs are crisp and the mids really cut through. The bass goes low without bleeding into the rest of the mix and they have great separation. Well worth a look!

PSB M4U 2 Closed Active Noise Cancelling Headphones (PSB-M4U2)

£299.00

4. penners

penners New Member

Thanks for your thoughts! That's given me something to think about. I don't expect to fully isolate the TV but I'd like it to be not competing with the music. Having experienced the bose qc (2, not 15, but I recognise much of the criticism of the 15's sq in reviews) I was veering away from NCs and was talking myself into the higher reaches of the Beyerdynamic closed range - T70 or even trying to justify T5P - to guarantee the qualities of my DT811s. However some of the NCs in the link do look interesting, for example the PSB M4U 2. Reviews of those seem to vary from the ecstatic to the "could be better". Has anyone any experience of how they, or other NCs (Denon, Audio-Technica?), may compare to my DT811? Particularly soundstage, separation, musicality...

Thanks again

5. john-hifi

Out of the noise cancelling headphones I have listened to the PSB's are the most impressive. I'm not normally a fan of noise cancelling but these headphones isolate sound so well without the need of NC, then you always have it as an option. The sound quality is superb, and for a closed back the soundstage is great. They're not going to please everyone, but in their price range they are one of the best at what they do.

6. penners

penners New Member

Thanks both. The PSBs are now clearly on my shortlist, I'll try to get to listen to a pair.

7. john-hifi

well if you are anywhere near Lancing on the south coast then you could visit our headphone demo room, we have a pair of PSB's available to listen to. just let us know in advance and book an appointment if you are interested.

8. 24bit

24bit New Member