closed headphones

Discussion in 'Full Size Headphones' started by Milky, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Milky

Milky New Member

i would like a pair of headphones for use with my ipod on the train and in bed so would like closed so as not to upset people. i tried the grados in a hifi shop which sounded great but the assistant started talking to me about my music choice so i am ruling out open ones. i listen mainly to classical or acoustic music so don't want a bass boost. having broken my last set i would like something hard wearing. i read about the german maestros and the beyer dt770s but don't really want to spend that much if i can help it, besides the warning about the gm's was that they look a bit industrial - am not too vain but feel a bit cautious. any ideas welcomed
    M

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

The German Maestro looks kind-of industrial when holding it in hand, but it looks pretty good on your head since it doesn't look big and clunky that way compared to most full-size headphones.

3. Milky

Milky New Member

thanks dale which german maestros are best with ipod? i am somehat confused with ohms and all the differnet models. could you, or anyone else recommend a slightly cheaper alternative perhaps?

4. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Here's the list I pick from. It's very hard to know what to recommend because they sound different and even a slight difference may not be what you want. But with the GMP 8.35D as a starting point around £149, you could step down to the ATH M50 at £134.95, or the Beyer DT770 at £126.95 - those are all good choices and similar. Much cheaper than that and you're in a different category of sound, so you have to know how that would sound to you and match your expectations. With the three I mentioned, the quality and durability are such that they make a good investment that will last.

Edit: In cases like the Beyer where there are different impedances, choose the lowest. 80 ohms and below should work fine.

Closed Back Headphones