Comfort is my priority - over ear options?

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by hotchilidamo, Feb 14, 2013.

1. hotchilidamo

hotchilidamo New Member

Hey

I'm looking for some over ear options. Ideally closed back but would consider open. As the title suggests I'm looking for comfort as the priority really. I must have sensitive ears or something because every pair I've owned have ended up either hurting the top of my head, my ears, or driving my glasses into my temples :)

So, any suggestions for a comfortable, quality set of over the ear headphones? Budget is ideally around £100 but can stretch to £150 if I really have to. If I can get something below this, even better

Any suggestions?

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Here are the two best bets I know of. I wear both of these with glasses and they don't seem to press enough to be a bother. I rate these as unusually comfortable for a regular headphone. The Soundmagic is a little more than £150, but could be worth a look. The sound is different - the DT770 has a warmer slightly more bassy sound, while the HP100 seems more tuned for classical and acoustic music, although those are arbitrary and either plays the full spectrum well.

Edit: Almost forgot - when I get as good a fit as I can, I always pull the earcups down another half-notch or so to take pressure off the headband, which the earcups can support. That works well for me.

Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO Closed Back Headphones (DT 770) - Professional Studio

SoundMAGIC HP100 Closed Back Headphones (HP-100)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  3. hotchilidamo

hotchilidamo New Member

Thanks for the tips. I like a variety of music but do tend to favour the electronic variety so I'm guessing the Beyerdynamic could be a good option.

Out of interest, are there any Open back options that would fit the bill too?