Comfy headphones for extended use

Discussion in 'Headphone & Earphone General Discussion' started by mattgaunt, Aug 22, 2010.

1. mattgaunt

mattgaunt New Member

Hey everyone,

My WESC headphones broke a couple of weeks ago and have since been looking for some new ones.

The main criteria is I want something that I can wear for several hours without them getting uncomfortable, the only curve ball is that I wear glasses ;)

This would be while I work and run off of my ipod or laptop.

If I can wear them while out and about then that would be awesome.

Can anyone give me any suggestions, I was looking to spend a around £50, only ones I've spotted are Goldring DR50 Headphones

Cheers,
    Matt

2. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Comfy headphones

Hey Matt... welcome to the HiFi Headphones forum.

The Goldring DR50's are looking a little dated now and the sound is not that well rounded in my opinion (lacking clarity and not much power at the bass end). They are fairly comfy, although not the best comfort available.

If you can justify buying the headphones only for use at home then the Audio-Technica ATH-AD300 is a very comfy headphone that performs much better than the Goldrings.

Alternatively if you really would like the headphones to have dual uses (working and out and about) then it may be worth considering a good pair of lightweight, on-ear headphones. On-ear headphones are normally quite comfortable for long term listening (assuming they do not clamp your head). In this category you also have far more choice at the £50 point. See below for some ideas:

AIAIA Tracks - surprisingly high levels of sound quality, very lightweight and quite a cool design.

Sennheiser PX100-II - very well balanced sound, with excellent clarity and nice warm bass response. Again very lightweight, comfortable and well made Sennheiser design.