Commuter Earphones

Discussion in 'Portable Headphones & Earphones' started by MPCaspell, Feb 11, 2012.

1. MPCaspell

MPCaspell New Member

Afternoon all, I'd greatly appreciate any help here.

Here are my requirements:

- Earphones
    - Won't disturb other commuters
    - Ideally no more than £100
    - As high a SQ as possible on my budget.
    - Durable with thick wires that don't mind being bundled up into a pocket.

Won't disturb other commuters is the most important factor for me. I hate people that irritate others on the train with their tinny, horrible music.

Greatly appreciate any advice you can offer. I searched through other posts but couldn't find anyone else quite looking for my specification.

Matt

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Isolating headphones

Noise Cancelling Headphones - Noise Reduction Headphones

Here's a link to something that may help. If you don't want the noise "canceling" feature then just look for the "closed" variety which will isolate noise pretty well, i.e. noise going out as well as coming in.

3. MPCaspell

MPCaspell New Member

Dale - Thanks for getting in touch, you've certainly pointed me in the right direction.

There's just one supplementary question I've got: Will these head/earphones also reduce the amount of noise that bleeds out of them, thus helping me avoid irritating other travellers?

I love the idea that my earphones will block out a lot of the noise around me, but likewise I don't want to annoy other folks.

Thanks very much,

Matt

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  4. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Noise blocking headphones

Basically almost all noise-cancelling headphones are "closed" headphones which don't leak sound to the outside. Someone could hear a closed headphone from the next seat if it were very, very quiet, and if you were playing music very, very loud, and they realized that the faint sound they were hearing came from you. But to give you an idea, if I use a closed headphone in bed at night when it's dead quiet, played at moderate volume, the person next to me cannot hear even the faintest sound. So on the commute, it's unlikely that the ambient noise level would get within even 30 db of a bedroom at night, even when the train comes to a complete stop and it gets "quiet".

5. MPCaspell

MPCaspell New Member

Dale,

Thanks very much, that's pretty much what I thought, but I just wanted to be sure.

Matt