Cycling headphones recommendation

Discussion in 'Portable Headphones & Earphones' started by marlon, Jun 15, 2010.

1. marlon

marlon New Member

I used to have a set of Philips - Neckband Headphones SHS5200/10 - Headphones - MP3 player accessories - Accessories which were excellent for cycling. Now they've died, after four years' daily use, I'm looking for a replacement with:
    1. neckband
    2. over-ear rather than in-ear (to keep my ears warm in the winter)
    3. in-line volume control

and preferably with:
    4. woven cable
    5. good extraneous noise (i.e. traffic) filtering.

I'm not too fussy!

Does anyone have any recommendations?

2. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Cycling headphones

A couple of ideas for cycling headphones that fit some of your requirements would be the Grado iGrado, Sennheiser PMX-60 and the SoundMAGIC EH11. You can find all of these in our sports headphones section.

The Grados sound the best by far, but are also the largest and heaviest.

I'm afraid an in-line volume control is hard to come by with decent quality headphones.

I wouldn't really recommend choosing a headphone that filters out traffic noise for cycling as this can obviously have safety implications. An open back pair of headphones would be the safest option.

3. marlon

marlon New Member

Thanks for the suggestions.

I am curious about why in-line controls are hard to find on decent quality headphones. I'd associate the feature with more expensive sets.

Regarding your caution about noise filtering: I'm not sure if you cycle frequently, but I commute 6000 miles a year, and I can assure that traffic is very noisy. Since I listen to podcasts containing speech, rather than music, I need something that's going to provide a bit of a boost - until cars go electric, I suppose. Roll on *that* day!

4. Andropov

Andropov New Member

My Recommendation is not to wear headphones while cycling. It dangerous and pretty silly. One of the main defences for a cyclist is listening to the traffic.

5. marlon

marlon New Member

Thanks Nanny.

6. jchris

jchris New Member

I just spent a few days trying to find the best headphones for cycling and ended up finding this post:

Best Biking Headphones of 2011

Hope that helps!