Dangers with deep insertion of tips?

Discussion in 'Portable Headphones & Earphones' started by krismusic, Jan 27, 2013.

1. krismusic

krismusic Member

Hi following on from my review of the EB-50's. as I say the only way I can get them to sound great us to insert the triple flanges very deeply. Having been taught as a child that the smallest thing you should put in your ear is your elbow(!?!) inserting tips deep into my ear canal feels ill advised. Does anyone know of evidence of harm being caused by deep insertion of IEM'S? Also I am getting a bit of pain from one canal. Will this settle down or is it a sign that something is wrong? Thanks for any info.

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

The first person to ask is the medical doctor. I've asked my doctor a few questions about ears and been surprised by the answers. I doubt that it's very dangerous if the eartips are very soft, however, you probably should have any hardened earwax removed first before pushing the eartips in.

3. krismusic

krismusic Member

My doctor was very unsympathetic to the idea of IEM's.

4. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

IEMs are not for everyone but I will point out that they are the industry standard for Musicians, Stage Actors, TV Presenting, Motor Sports, Security and in many other professions too. I will also point out that few Doctors are positive towards anything which carries the slightest risk. There are no hidden dangers that I am aware of and ear pain is largely due to any force exerted on the ear interupting the complex blood flow of this capillary rich part of the body. A badly fitted hat or earmuffs can both cause discomfort even with light pressure on any part of the ear.

If there were ant real danger to placing small objects in the ear canals heavy industry health and safety departments would not hand out earplugs as readilly I'm sure.

Maybe someone has a completely opposing view? I'm certainly not insisting people wear IEMs:) Feel free to add to this guys.

5. krismusic

krismusic Member

All very good points Robin. Reassuring too. I really like IEM's and would be very reluctant to give them up.