Desperate for a new, awesome pair of headphones!

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by charliegold, Oct 23, 2013.

1. charliegold

charliegold New Member

Hi guys,
    Got a raather broad question about headphones for you (lets see how you cope :p):
    I'm looking for a new pair of headphones, with these specs:

-either over-ear or on-ear, preferably over-ear
    -good bass but great overall tone
    -stylish and fashionable
    -under £200
    -not too heavy

If it helps, I listen mainly to rock and indie stuff, however I also listen to jazz, reggae, dub, and some classical from time to time (yeah, I have a pretty broad music taste!)

Any help you can give me will be much appreciated,
    Thanks a ton,
    Charliegold

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Here's my list, with the Soundmagic HP100 and Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro. All of the others are listed, but these two would most likely fit your specifications:

Closed Back Headphones

Here's one more that I purchased here, it's on-ear but extremely comfortable, stylish, and great sound:

Sennheiser Momentum On-Ear Closed Back Headphones Blue

3. charliegold

charliegold New Member

thanks dude, also what would you say about the Shure SRH840 headphones? Been seeing a lot of good reviews for those lately...do they look really big on your head?

4. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

I never had the 840 myself, just the 940/1440/1840, but there have been several people here who bought the 840 and really like them. I like Shure's quality - top notch, and I don't think you could be disappointed with the 840 unless you just had to have an ultra-fidelity headphone like a few of the pricy ones on that list.

5. charliegold

charliegold New Member

And what would you say about the 940s?

6. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

The 940 is fairly bright - Headfonia called them the "Detail Monster", which is pretty accurate. My 940 came with extra earpads also, so here's a suggestion: If it sounds a bit too crispy, just cut the foam backing off of the spare earpads (carefully, so you get the entire foam) and then tuck those foams into the earcups so you have 2 foams in each earcup. I described it in a youtube review. As a mod, it doesn't do anything permanent to the headphone, and unlike a lot of stuff you can put into an earcup that would reduce treble in a bad way, the extra acoustic foams Shure makes just dampen the brighter highs slightly, leaving a full detailed treble for hi-fi listening. As a hi-fi headphone, especially for high resolution music tracks, the 940 goes way above its price level. I have a review here on the forum.

7. john-hifi

john-hifi Super Moderator Staff Member

If you're willing to go up to £240 then I would definitely recommend the 940s, I love their sound - and they're very comfortable. For more warmth you could try the Sennheiser Momentums, they are just a bit more in price.