difficulty getting SE530's to fit

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by ewokuk, Aug 24, 2011.

1. ewokuk

ewokuk New Member

I have had a pair of SE530's for acouple of years now but have rarely used them as I have always had trouble getting them to fit comfortably. Its difficult getting the things into my ears in the first place, not exactly quick and easy to get them in after fiddling about squeezing the foam then trying to shove them in quick before the foam expands and then trying to get them the right way round so the cable that goes over the top is in the right place, which is fiddly and irritating! and even then I am not sure I have them at the right angle in my ears) and when I do get them in they do not seem very comfortable. Of all the supplied tips that came with them the ONLY ones I could use AT ALL were the foam ones. The cable on them is quite thick as well which makes getting it to curl round behind the ears really irritating and once its there it can be irritating again rubbbing against the sensitive skin round the back of the ears, all because the cable is so damn thick!

I think I have small ears so perhaps even the smallest of the foam tips are still a bit big. I dont think it should be this difficult though. Wondering if there is anything else I can do to make them fit easier, perhaps the small Comply foam tips mentioned on the site (if they are compatible?) might be a better/easier fit? (perhaps they are smaller than the Shure ones and maybe softer foam).

They were obviously really expensive, and no doubt sound great, but I always end up using the Apple ones that came with my iphone because I just cant be bothered messing about with these trying to get them to fit.

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi ewokuk

Get these - much better for people who struggle with fitting than the Shure tips. Unfortunately I can't really help with the other fit problems you are having but these might make the experience more bearable:)

Comply Foam Ear Tips T-100 Black Small (3-pairs)
    £14.99

Basically they have more give and when you squish them they take longer to return to their natural shape - also they are softer and smaller too!

3. ewokuk

ewokuk New Member

cool thanks, sounds like they might help quite a bit, ill try them.

4. RobinHiFi

Good Luck! If you get them and they solve the problem please post the results here as it may help others:)

5. ewokuk

ewokuk New Member

got them yesterday, so far definitely better than the foam tips that come with it, slightly smaller, softer and take a bit longer to grow back into shape like Robin said. They are also a different shape to the Shure ones, these are slightly tapered which also helps get them in properly. Of course the £15 price tag for 6 tiny bits of foam is insane but after spending £300+ on the earphones, which Shure has not provided properly fitting tips for, not much choice.

still dont like the thickness of the cable or having to put it round behind my ears but at least its a lot easier to get them to fit properly.

Only other problem I have is what seems to me like a lack of bass from these shures, just seems a bit weak to me. had previously assumed it was due to the fit and never thought much more about it but I am definitely getting a good seal as I cant hear the outside world very much when they are in, but the bass still seems very weak. perhaps im not shoving them in far enough or something.

6. RobinHiFi

They should have a decent amount of bottom end - be careful with your ears though, they really are priceless:)