DSD Download of SF Symphony

Discussion in 'Members Lounge' started by dalethorn, Dec 9, 2012.

1. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

I just wanted to add that this recording made me aware of the different sound of different amplifiers, which I didn't think was possible to hear.

3. quadpatch

quadpatch New Member

Nice one Dale! I'm quite tempted by this. Did you actually get the DSD version or did you go for the 24/96 one? If you got the DSDs how did you play them?

If anyone is tempted to try some DSDs there are some free downloads here:

Home | Blue Coast Records (you'll need to sign up to the website to get the free stuff).

I tried the DSF files (consumer version of the DSD, as opposed to the DFF) on the Fostex HP-A8 amp and they worked pretty well. A bit of a faff playing them off the SD card but there is a firmware available for the A8 now that enables you to play them over USB!

If you only have a 24/96 capable DAC (like most of them) then foobar will downscale them on the fly to other high resolution formats (to 24/88 I think).

4. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

24/96 for me - the day I get the Stax SR009 and Blue-whatever amp, then I'll get a music server with DSD input. I see now that the symphony was recorded almost 10 years ago, but Blue Coast made a darn good choice since the music is so well recorded with every subtlety intact.