DT-770 Pro 250ohm or XB1000s?

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by eltocliousus, Jan 16, 2012.

1. eltocliousus

eltocliousus New Member

Jan 16, 2012
    I'm looking for bass centric headphones (punchy, tight that hits you hard but doesn't leave a horrible mud trail like a 1000w car stereo would) that are comfortable and looking good is a bonus.

So far I've nailed it down to the DT-770 Pro 250ohm (I've heard the 80ohm version has better bass response but can muddy the mids and it isn't as tight as the 250) and the XB1000s, again hearing they're similar to the XB500/700s (I have the 500s right now) except much more tight and better mids/treble.

I'll be using a FiiO E10 for the DAC/AMP, running from my onboard sound to the E10 to the headphones, portability isn't an issue as I use my Sony budget IEMs for out and about.
    I've also had people recommend the HD-25 iis which are also in my price range but they look a little uncomfortable and I know bigger isn't always better but I can't help the feeling that something that small won't put out the bass response the DT-770s/XB1000s put out.

Thanks for any suggestions/replies, take care.
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Apr 28, 2010
    Hi eltocliousus

The HD25 are actually quite impressive but on ears are not really comfortable for extended periods of listening. Here are a couple of other options -

GermanMAESTRO GMP 450 PRO Closed Headphones (GMP450PRO)

Denon AH-D2000 Closed Back Stereo Headphones (AHD2000)

Worth looking at but you are definitely in the right ball park. I'm quite fond of these too -

GermanMAESTRO GMP 8.300 D Professional Closed Headphones

This is not an easy choice as there are plenty of headphones which get close to your description. Have you managed to try any of the ones which appeal to you?