DT770's Uncomfortable?

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Fatality, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Fatality

Fatality New Member

Hey guys. I recieved my DT770's from you yesterday and I couldn't be happier in terms of sound. but there's one thing that's bugging me. Inside the earcuffs is lined with a harder material and where it's attahces to the soft stuff, it's quite sharp and cuts into my ears sometimes. Is it supposed to be like this or is it a problem with my headphones? I'm really pleased with them apart from this so I don't want this to spoil it, It there anything I can do to remedy this?

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Fatality

I know the bit you mean, it is the underside of the pad. You will need to visit a haberdashery or fabric store with the pads and see if they have a thin self adhesive soft ribbon or similar to cover this if your ears touch it - Over time they will soften up a bit but at the expense of the edges of your ear.

Only attempt this if you are practical and patient!

Right! Be very careful! get a hair dryer, don't blow it into the driver but around the outside of the pad on the pleather looking bit which fits over the lip. Warming it up will make it easy top remove the pads but still be careful. Don't melt them you just want them to be a little bit more pliable. ease them off gently and then you can cut soft material to size and fit. Then refit the pads.

Be gentle:)

3. Fatality

Fatality New Member

Thanks for the reply robin. They're not so bad that I'd resort to risking doing that. I'll persevere and hope they soften up a bit.

Also, can you recommend a amp for them? My Dad is getting a new Denon amp soon and Is giving me his Yamaha one which despite being 12 years old. It cost him nearly £2000, I've tried these headphones with them and you can physically feel bass and drums on them! But I need a amp to tie me over till then. I have a tiny Fiio one which cost me about £15 and there's one which is about £65 which I was looking at.

Thanks! :)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  4. RobinHiFi

Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  5. Fatality

Fatality New Member

Do you know when you'll be getting them back in stock? :)

6. RobinHiFi

Should be within two weeks - Unsurprisingly these are very really popular!:) Sold out twice last month.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
  7. Fatality

Fatality New Member

I won't be able to buy it till the end of this month so that's fine. :)

Thanks for all the help robin. They're becoming better now since I starting rubbing the edges with the outside of my nail.

8. RobinHiFi

Eventually they should end up soft, I hope your ears survive until then!:D